Rough idea on price for RSJ install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Buying a house and was after an idea on cost for a universal beam install. I'll be getting quotes when I move in, I'm sure a builder will want to see the job in person, which at present is not that easy seeing as I don't own the house. Also, I'm sure builders quoting aren't gonna be too keen on spending time on a house I don't even own yet! So basically after someone with a bit of knowledge shedding some light on a ball park figure.

Basically a 4.3m UB to span from a solid brick internal wall to another beam already in place since the property was built in 1925 that spans a bay window. The joist to be installed will ideally run inside the ceiling of the ground floor to support a solid brick wall above that was just built on a floor joist parallel to it. So basically the beam is replacing a single or double floor joist. The reason for this is the wall above has sagged a bit due to the weight, putting a door frame out of square. SE recommends jacking the wall up to straighten the doorframe out. I was amazed at the cheap price of the steel quoted to me (£57+vat for a 4.3m 178x102x19 with £25 delivery). Keen to get the beam inside the ceiling as it runs across the middle of the lounge.

More info and SE report in my other thread below:

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/universal-beam-install-and-jack-up-floor.459148/

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back