router/modem won't let me see t'internet ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently tried a Belkin ADSL Modem/Router (model F5D7633-4) to replace a USB broadband modem we have used with our PC, as wife wants to use her work-laptop too.

Router is all set-up OK and all the lights are green. I can access its set-up pages from the PC and the wife can log-in to the Wi-Fi home network I have created.

However, I cannot get any internet pages to show up on the PC or the laptop. IE simply states "page cannot be found". The green lights on the router (for the PC and the internet), all flash when a page address is clicked until the message above appears.

Have I missed something - is there a box to tick/untick or some setting in IE I should adjust ? I have followed all the instructions in the routers manual.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
IE is possibly trying to use the connection for your USB device. Click Tools, Internet Options and then select the connections tab. Make sure the radio button "Never dial a connection" is ticked. If there is a dial up connection present (from your old device), you can remove it.

Another test would be to open a command prompt and type ping google.com What reply do you get?

As an afterthought, when you checked the router status page, does it say that it's actually connected.

Thanks for the reply: -

1. "Never dial" is ticked. Don't want to delete USB modem from IE as I am hot swapping between the two to get back here. But I am disconnecting the USB when trying the ADSL modem.

2. "host google.com not found" (checked I was doing it right by also pinging through usb modem - 4 'packets' went and came back ok).

3. Yes, "CONNECTED" shown in green at top of page. (checked by deliberately putting error into ISP password, connection failed until password was reset then all ok again).

Still getting "IE cannot display webpage" (sorry - not as stated in first post ^^^^ - "Page not found").

Thanks

If you can access the set-up pages check to make sure that the router is showing an IP address/Default gateway. If it reads something like 255.255.... or 192.168.... then it wont be connected to the internet.

If it shows an IP address different to the ones above then your router is most probably connected to the internet and its the settings on your PC that need changing.

Sponsored Links
Do you have any Internet security installed? If so switch it off temporarily.

Try the same ping test, but replace google.com with 209.85.147.147

Does it reply?

Have you set you machines to receive the ip addresses from the router or are you statically assigning them?

The more details you can provide in one post with respect to the setup, the better.

Hi Crofty & Igorian,

While checking out your suggestions I turned off windows firewall :oops: Hey presto - internet pages appear.

I will now have to wait on 'Er-indoors' to come home before I can try her laptop. I am not hopefull as I know I won't be able to fiddle with any of its security settings !

Thanks so far (submitted via ADSL modem) :D
Watch this space :arrow:

OK, it's not so simple. Turns out Windows Firewall doesn't seem to affect it after all !

Wife came home a couple of minutes after my last post ^^^ while the PC was still on. We quickly set up her laptop and it logged in and connected to internet straight away. However, when she logged in to her works website (1st time she has done it), their security software decided the laptop needed a re-boot.

What happens - you guessed - no more internet. Checked the PC and no internet there either !! Tried re-booting modem and PC and turning windows firewall on/off - no luck.

Last other thing I had done before the internet had started working was Igorian's ping test (successfully). Tried the ping test again and Hey Presto - web pages are back. Unfortunately, I don't know how long the modem will keep running without the internet becoming inaccessible again.

Does this 'ping' routine tell you guys anything :?: :?: :?:

Thanks again

Try doing both pings to see if both reply.

It sounds like you Internet Security software may be having issues. Can you tell us what it is you are using?

You could try disabling it completely for a short period to see how it performs. It might also need some manual tweaking.

Hi Igorian,

I have 'Avast' virus protection and use Windows XP Firewall with IE 8. Unfortunately, I can't find any way to temporarily disable Avast.

Today, I started the ADSL modem and after it settled (all green lights) I booted the PC. Avast then automaticaly updated itself from the internet without me doing anything else :!: I opened IE but could not get any pages to display.

In a cmd window I pinged google.com and got "host not found".
Then pinged 209.85.147.147 and 4 packets went and came back in 34ms. :)
Back to IE but still no pages displayed :?:

Put 209.85.... in IE address bar and Google page came up. Carried out a search and it displayed all the results. Could not get any of these pages to display. Everything has been re-booted but still no luck.

I am back on the USB modem which is a real shame as I can now see that 3.5Mbs is a lot slower than the ADSL's 7.5Mbs :cry:

More of a DNS issue I think.

Try clearing the DNS cache. With the command prompt open, type ipconfig /flushdns on both machines. Restart both machines (shouldn't be necessary, but keeps things fresh) and retry both pings.

You might also want to clear your temporary internet files from within ie to clear any stale pages.

Yes, it does look very much like a DNS problem. Normally, when the modem/router obtains its (internet-facing) IP address from your ISP, it also obtains the addresses of the DNS Servers. If, for some reason the DNS addresses it gets are invalid or the servers are off-lien, DNS problems will result. The simplest solution is to set the DNS server addresses in the local PC's network properties page. I use Google's servers, which are at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. An alternative is to hard-wire these server addresses into the router.

Update this evening: -

Ran the XP Disk Cleanup utility then RegEdit (which is already installed and I hope does the same job as WinSockFix). Then opened a cmd window and ran 'flushdns'.

Rebooted the PC and router and pinged both addresses. Still no response from "google.com" but 209.85.... sent and recieved 4 packets (as before).

However, for some reason trying to ping 209.85... in a cmd window did not miraculously bring back the IE pages in spite of several attempts. Even so, I am now back on the ADSL modem but can't explain why?

I note that the modem does record DNS addresses in its set-up pages and also has a facility to set permanent DNS addresses. However, I do not know where the PC network property page is to put the DNS address first as suggested.

Thanks again

Edit: Boy - isn't this ADSL modem fast !

Started the computer today and my previous post says it all: -

Today, I started the ADSL modem and after it settled (all green lights) I booted the PC. Avast then automaticaly updated itself from the internet without me doing anything else :!: I opened IE but could not get any pages to display.

In a cmd window I pinged google.com and got "host not found".
Then pinged 209.85.147.147 and 4 packets went and came back in 34ms. :)
Back to IE but still no pages displayed :?:

I am back on the USB modem which is a real shame as I can now see that 3.5Mbs is a lot slower than the ADSL's 7.5Mbs :cry:

I can add that I also tried 'Mailwasher' (a junk e-mail filter) and 'Outlook' but they coudn't connect either.

Now need to let #1 son on as he is jumping up and down for his internet/facebook etc fix before he goes to work. Kids today :!:

Sponsored Links
Back