Routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small job I need to do on some wardrobe doors.

I need to router out a small indent at the bottom of the door about 30mm x 15mm by 5mm deep to insert a running guide for a sliding door

The doors are 35mm thick

I have done a little bit of routing but if I mess this up she will not be happy.

Anybody got any advice on how to do this?

Sponsored Links
How wide is that going to be?

Are you saying 30mm or 15mm??

Wondering because of the door width

B

Trying to picture what you mean. I am guessing this is a 30mm by 15mm L shape which fits into a recess 5mm deep.

Is that correct?

Sponsored Links
Guide bush, straight cutter, home made template jig

I will try and put up a picture, will make it easier to understand.

I am thinking that a home made jig will be needed, just not sure how to do it

Usual thing if routing on an edge is to use two guides, one either side. No chance of it running off that way.
For a small recess like this as a one off I'd probably just mark it and carefully chisel it out. less chance of making a mistake if you're not used to using a router.

You need to rebate those plates into door? simple wood chisel would be very quick and easy.

Having seen what you are fitting I agree with what foxhole and dave have already suggested - use a chisel.

You could go down the route of making a template/jig and use a router and collar but far easier to carefully chisel the recesses out.

IMHO anyway

B

whats the chance of me splitting the wood?

I did think about that, just not sure the best way?

Make sure you have a decent chisel and that it has the best sharp edge.

Mark out and go slowly - as if you were fitting a lock recess (cross chisel and removing small bits at a time if you're not confident)

Should be fine

Cheers all

I will mark out with a stanley knife and then chisel it out.

Many thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back