Rover 45 diesel - AC pump to remove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2001 reg

Need to get the AC pump removed from the front of the engine so I can get the PAS pump removed and replace it.

Does the AC pump just loosen off and hang on its pipes ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Does the AC work? Is there any gas in the system? If not it won't matter if you have to undo the pipes

I've never used the AC.

Just need the AC pump out of the way to remove the PAS pump.

I was hoping it would be as easy as a Bora 1.9 TD where you take two bolts out and swing the AC pump out of the way.

Sponsored Links
ref: Did the PAS pump on mine with everything else still in situ.

Is yours the 2.0 TD ? You were able to get the pas pump off without removing the alternator or the AC pump ?

This is the engine type I have (arrow points to the pas pump) -

o015dh.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, I've the L series, in fact 2 of them. One is now on 182000 miles and still going strong. I took mine to MG-Rover Mobile Mechanics at Derby as I wasn't sure where it was leaking from, but they soon diagnosed PAS pump and proceeded to change it. It's not the easiest to get to, but I think matters are simplified if you remove the splash guard, and support the weight of the engine on a trolley jack. Undo the top engine mount on the drivers side, and raise/lower the engine as required using the jack.

New PAS pump was £120, (with £100 exchange surcharge on the old one), they are factory sealed, so if the leak is on the dividing gasket, replacement is the only option. May have said before though, check the union on the feed from the reservoir first, (from memory I think there's a copper washer top and bottom that makes the seal), apparently this is a common leak point.

You really don't want to be undoing the air con unless you know exactly what you're doing, it's illegal to discharge the gas into the atmosphere and can cause nasty chemical burns if you get too close. May find for a £45 recharge it works too!

If you use Facebook, why not join the MG-Rover Diesel Owners Club, always a wealth of advice available.

Back