Rover 45 TD CV joint change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a CV kit for the N/Side.

Questions -

Undo the track rod end and lower suspension link so I can pull CV out of the wheel hub ?

I'm advised that the CV joint will knock off the end of the drive shaft ?

Does anyone know the torque for the hub nut for when I reassemble ?

Thanks in advance folks.

Sponsored Links
On the Rover 200 series:

Remove drive-shaft
Secure drive-shaft in vice
Remove gaiter clips
Using soft faced mallet strike CV inner to remove from drive-shaft

Reassemble using new circlip and nut
Tighten drive-shaft/hub nut to 180 Nm (133 lb ft)

Thanks AlanE

I was hoping I'd be able to do the task without taking the drive shaft out off the gearbox end.

How easy is the CV joint to tap off the end of the drive shaft?

There is hardly any extra effort involved in removing complete drive shaft as a lever between inner joint and engine has it out in a jiffy.

Easier to work on standing up than laying under car and you do need to secure drive shaft in vice really.

How easy to tap (not a mad bash!!!) the shaft off - easy. The only thing actually holding it in place is a wire circlip that get compressed when you apply a shock to inner part of the outer join.

The shaft itself is a sliding fit in the joint, just circlip to compress.

Sponsored Links
What grade of gearbox oil will I need should any drip out when I take the drive shaft out?

Wipe the area clean and put a clean can under the shaft, whatever sort that is ........... :cool:
No good loosing the run of ourselves, new gear oil ......... :rolleyes:

But 80 should be OK, if its low.

Edit:
Give yourself plenty of time, it takes longer than it looks, to fit everything back.

Give yourself plenty of time, it takes longer than it looks, to fit everything back.
Totally agree. It's always easier print a few instructions that make it look a half hour job.

Remember also it depends upon your own skill level and what tools you have.

Also remember I am no car mechanic. Now retired but used to repair heating boilers but I do have a fairly comprehensive set of tools including air impact gun so tight drive-shaft /hub are really no bother. You might not be so lucky.

I have done this job on Rover as well as several others but I did find when I had to overhaul joint on Peugeot it was just as cheap, and a lot less hassle, to replace complete drive-shaft.

Back