Royal Mail

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My regular postman delivered a small package (along with the usual junk mail) at 1045 this morning, and informed me that 'his mate' would be along with a Special Delivery Guaranteed package in around half-an-hour, and would I be in? I assured him I would be here.

At 1105 I heard a faint noise at the front door and went to investigate. There was a red card protruding from my letterbox informing me that a package couldn't be delivered because it needed to be signed for. The doorball had not rung (as it had twenty minutes earlier), nor was there any knock on the door. I could see the lazy bugger scurrying back to his van, but was unable to attract his attention.

I have complained, of course, as this was not the first time it has happened, but I have a feeling that nothing will be done.

Lesson to be learnt: when ordering items online, always go with a company that uses couriers if possible. Little wonder that they are taking over the parcels sector, leaving the RM with the less-profitable letters.

Sponsored Links
Lesson to be learnt: when ordering items online, always go with a company that uses couriers if possible. Little wonder that they are taking over the parcels sector, leaving the RM with the less-profitable letters.
Its clear you have little knowledge of mail order. If you did you would know that this is common place amongst all of the couriers.

Its clear you have little knowledge of mail order. If you did you would know that this is common place amongst all of the couriers.

Not the ones I have used.

If it is so common, why don't they just deliver to the local depot and require customers to collect. It would save them even more time and trouble.

DO NOT use anyone that employs Yodel as a courier. I had a text from them saying my parcel was on their van and would be delivered that day. When it failed to arrive I phoned, only to be told the text was a mistake and it would be delivered the following day. The next day it failed to arrive once more and Yodel admitted that they had no idea where it was and that it had never been on the van. After two days they admitted it had been stolen from their distribution centre.

The suppliers sent me a new item, I received a text saying it was on the van etc. so I waited in again. No parcel so checked online tracking which said delivery attempted so I called them and was told driver had knocked, rang doorbell and even called at rear door. The member of staff was speechless when told that I was in all day, two brickies and a labourer had been working on my porch and a window fitter replacing my bay.

Liars, thieves and incompetent.

Sponsored Links
The opposite to this of course are the ones that just leave the parcel outside the front door and drive off. Handy when you get home and it's still there but not so good when it gets nicked.

At a customer's house yesterday and there was a knock at the door. I called out that I couldn't open the front door as it was locked and that I would come round and sign for it. He obviously didn't hear me. By the time I had run out of the back gate, down the alley and round the front, I saw him trying at a neighbours house. No answer. By the time I got to him he was swearing his head off (all of about 30 seconds). That was also Yodel.

Write yourself a standard letter with your address on it and a signature stating for the courier to leave it somewhere safe/out of sight and that you accept responsibility for the security arrangements, sign it, and stick it to your door. (In the wheely bin, if it's not on the roadway/bin day is handy). This has never failed for me, and they get to take away your signature and you get your parcel.

Don't bother with this if there are plenty of urchins about in your area though.

Nozzle

Had a Tesco timed delivery arranged, something cropped up & I knew I would not be in.
So I emailed them (2days b4 delivery was due). On the day the delivery was due I put a note in the door addressed to Tesco driver, I advised where to leave it & said the area had cctv.
When I got home after the delivery was due, no delivery no note in door, next day I contacted Tesco.
They couldn't arrange a new delivery date as the goods were at the local store (apparently the store should have contacted me).
I finished by saying cancel the order I will re-order.
I had the ordered credited, went to place a new order & they were out of stock.
Tesco will not leave without a signature.
I order from Laithwaites & they ask where do you want it left.

DO NOT use anyone that employs Yodel as a courier. I had a text from them saying my parcel was on their van and would be delivered that day. When it failed to arrive I phoned, only to be told the text was a mistake and it would be delivered the following day. The next day it failed to arrive once more and Yodel admitted that they had no idea where it was and that it had never been on the van. After two days they admitted it had been stolen from their distribution centre.

The suppliers sent me a new item, I received a text saying it was on the van etc. so I waited in again. No parcel so checked online tracking which said delivery attempted so I called them and was told driver had knocked, rang doorbell and even called at rear door. The member of staff was speechless when told that I was in all day, two brickies and a labourer had been working on my porch and a window fitter replacing my bay.

Liars, thieves and incompetent.

I, too, have had big problems with Yodel.

DPD and Amazon Logistics have proved to be very efficient and trustworthy, at least in my experience. Amazon have started to e-mail on the date of delivery to confirm, although I suppose the day before would be better for those who have to go out to work.

We've just learnt from a friend that it was a surprise package for my first wife's birthday.

The friend was checking whether my wife had received it and, when she heard what had happened, informed us that is was perishable, hence the use of RM's Special Delivery 'Guaranteed' service to ensure it would be delivered on Tuesday.

We don't know exactly what it is yet (it's a surprise - may be more surprising than intended!), but as it is now to be delivered tomorrow, well I see it's today now (the earliest RM were prepared to deliver it), I expect it is likely to be spoilt.

As this is due to an employee failing to do his job, I imagine RM may possibly take the matter a little more seriously now, especially as the word 'compo' springs to mind.

I will alway ask for royal mail. If i use another courier, then it almost always a 40 mile round journey to pick up a packet, Royal mail delivery office 3 mile round journey.

Gary.

As this is due to an employee failing to do his job, I imagine RM may possibly take the matter a little more seriously now, especially as the word 'compo' springs to mind.

Well only his fault if you can prove he didnt try and deliver it. As you have stated, you seen him scurry away and he left a card indicated he did try and deliver it. Just because you never heard him (may be he chapped the door and never seen the bell).

Gary.

Write yourself a standard letter with your address on it and a signature stating for the courier to leave it somewhere safe/out of sight and that you accept responsibility for the security arrangements, sign it, and stick it to your door. (In the wheely bin, if it's not on the roadway/bin day is handy). This has never failed for me, and they get to take away your signature and you get your parcel.

Don't bother with this if there are plenty of urchins about in your area though.

Nozzle

A courier did that with me (I never asked them) then put a flimsy bit of paper though my door telling me where the packet was. By the time I seen the paper (next day when the mail pushed it out the letterbox, the bin had been emptied.

Gary.

Well only his fault if you can prove he didnt try and deliver it. As you have stated, you seen him scurry away and he left a card indicated he did try and deliver it. Just because you never heard him (may be he chapped the door and never seen the bell).

Fortunately, the evidence is in my favour. I had been informed only 20 minutes earlier that the package would be delivered within half-an-hour, so was consciously listening for its arrival. Also, I managed to hear the quiet scuffling of a card being inserted into my letterbox, so I should imagine I would have heard a knock, to say nothing of the doorbell.

Also, I now know that the package had the word 'perishable' printed in large letters on the front. Bearing in mind that I had immediately telephoned RM to complain, and that they said they were going to contact the local depot, someone somewhere should have put these two pieces of information together and arranged an immediate re-delivery. In fact, I now know for certain that the depot were informed as, when I informed the postman who brought the package today that his colleague had not knocked or rung the doorbell, he told me that he had 'knocked on' (a Lanky phrase!).

The fact that he left a card means nothing. It is a well documented occurrence that some postmen don't bother to carry the parcel, they just write a card to say that they have, presumably so they can finish their shift earlier. I have read examples where customers have discovered that their parcels were not even on the van, but left in the depot! Easier for the posties if the customers come and collect themselves, I suppose. :rolleyes:

They knock the door with a balloon - didn't you know that?

Had a couple of experiences with Amazon once. Got a couple of failed delivery emails - "couldn't find your house" was cited as the reason (considering I live on an A road, with consecutive even numbering for at least half-a-mile in each direction, I think a "professional" delivery driver could work that out :rolleyes: )
The second failed delivery, I was actually waving to him as I was jogging down the drive. Clearly, he couldn't be @rsed to deliver it, if I'd gone and fetched it from his own house.

Amazon sorted it at the third attempt though.

Generally (above incident aside), delivery is pretty decent.

Any un-signed for parcels used to go to my local post office and were available for collection after four hours. For some reason, it is now after twenty four hours.

Sponsored Links
Back