RSJ Fitting Wood

Sponsored Links
If the flange of the steel is 4" wide, bolt a 4x2 on the top, but with the bolts on opposite side of the web to where the upright piece is bolted.

If it's wider than 4" you would need to stagger the bolts in the top flange, and cut small notches out of the top of the web beam before bolting it in.

If the flange of the steel is 4" wide, bolt a 4x2 on the top, but with the bolts on opposite side of the web to where the upright piece is bolted.

If it's wider than 4" you would need to stagger the bolts in the top flange, and cut small notches out of the top of the web beam before bolting it in.

Thanks tony its a 4" beam, sounds good opposite side is easier..

Unsure what you mena if its over 4 " though cutting small notches out of web beam?

I actually have metal spacers premade for the two rsj's I have to fit the 70mm cavity wall... should I just use these spacer holes and bolts through the rsj to hold the wood between the web, killing two birds with one stone too..

If your fixing a timber to the top of the RSJ just so you get adequate fixing for the hanger, then why not just wrap the hanger around the timber going into the web of the steel ? Making the whole process far easier

Sponsored Links
If your fixing a timber to the top of the RSJ just so you get adequate fixing for the hanger, then why not just wrap the hanger around the timber going into the web of the steel ? Making the whole process far easier

Makes sense is this an ok method to use?

Also whenadding wood to the top of the rsj for a hanger, does this cause any problems when bricks and load are on top, does it not need tobe directly on the rsj itself? Would compression/shrinkage of the wood on top cause problems?

Thanks for the replies

Yes, we have specified this several times for both floors and roof applications. The minimum wrap over is 45mm for drop hung applications so wrapping the hanger around the timber in the web is more than adequate. This when fully nailed would ensure the hangers is at full capacity rather than the reduced capacity for drop hung methods.

You say you are using a drop method, what is the drop below the steel ? you are aware that there is a limit to the drop ? I think its 120mm ...

Fixing it this way also means you wouldn't have to worry about building blockwork/brickwork on top of a wooden plate off the top of steel. I have always been told that building brickwork/blockwork off a wooden plate is a big no.

Yes, we have specified this several times for both floors and roof applications. The minimum wrap over is 45mm for drop hung applications so wrapping the hanger around the timber in the web is more than adequate. This when fully nailed would ensure the hangers is at full capacity rather than the reduced capacity for drop hung methods.

You say you are using a drop method, what is the drop below the steel ? you are aware that there is a limit to the drop ? I think its 120mm ...

Fixing it this way also means you wouldn't have to worry about building blockwork/brickwork on top of a wooden plate off the top of steel. I have always been told that building brickwork/blockwork off a wooden plate is a big no.

Thanks for your help chickenlips ,much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back