RSJ Needle advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm planning on putting a 3m RSJ between my ground floor kitchen and dining room and looking for advice on the best way to temporarily support the wall load whilst the beam is installed. The joists in both the kitchen and dining room ceilings run parallel to the wall so the only weight is of the wall itself which is light density blockwork.

Above the kitchen is a bedroom with floorboards and above the dining room is a flat felt roof. The bedroom has a flat felt roof with ceiling joists also running parallel.

Can the needles sit on the floorboards/dining room roof if positioned over a joist that's supported underneath?

My plan is to wedge 6"x4" x 1m needles off the felt roof on one side (and the floorboards on the other) directly above/along a joist, which will then be supported underneath with an accrow and sole boards. I was thinking 3 needles evenly spaced with one directly in the centre. Both kitchen and dining room floors are concrete.

Is this feasible or are there better alternatives?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds OK. one point to think about is on the felt roof side, you don't want your needle just sitting on chipboard, between the roof joists. I think you need a load spreader long enough to span some roof joists. Scaffolding board?
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back