RSJ Size please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would like to order rsj for internal wall opening.
House is 1930 victorian terrace
Opening of 2 metre in Load bearing ground floor wall.
Wall all the way up to first floor and also supporting roof struts.

Building control has mentioned 7x4 be sufficient ( only over the phone though). Is this correct.

What size would a beam be if it was a 9" thick wall. Do they come in size of 4" 9" etc etc. Please can someone advice what does one need to know before ordering rsj.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sorry bit lost here. Can some more explanation be given as I am a novice. Please answer my original question for 7 x4.

Thanks everyone. Finally the recommended padstone for support is 450x225x100.

I can only find 450 x215x100. Can this be used or will 10mm make a huge difference. Anyone guide me where I can find the size as I cant find it with any merchant.

Thanks everyone. Finally the recommended padstone for support is 450x225x100.

I can only find 450 x215x100. Can this be used or will 10mm make a huge difference. Anyone guide me where I can find the size as I cant find it with any merchant.

450mm x 225mm x 100mm refers to the padstone plus a mortar bed and is only a minor, irrelevant detail. Buy the pads off the shelf at the size you have described, we all use 'em.

Who has come up with the size of the padstones? An 18" long padstone each side of a 2m-wide opening!!!!
Are the bricks made of dried mud?

Tony the bricks are normal bricks. I dont know how to check. I am just going by what building inspector told me. This is an internal load bearing wall in a 1930 house between living room and dining room.

I would like it to be over specd than under. However the information is just given by building inspector over the phone.

. I am just going by what building inspector told me..

Bouba; your inspector is an ass.

To accomodate 450 pads each end, you are making the opening nearly half as wide again.
In a 1930s house, internal wall 1/2 brick thick, supporting a wall above + half the floor from each side + (probably) a bit of the ceiling in the bedrooms, a 215 long padstone would be .more than adequate.

The inspector shouldn't be giving you advice like this because that's not his job. The reason that he's suggested such an enormous padstone is that he knows **** all about structures, and he's covering his back - but you're paying for it.

Agreed about BI being an ass. Most are.
So basically what you are saying is that a 215 x215 x100 padstone be sufficient.

Forgot to add that I am not taking the whole wall out. Just making an opening with 1 courses of brickwork still left above the rsj. Basically a large door opening but not upto the ceilin( if that makes sense.)

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back