RSJ Size please.

what you are saying is that a 215 x215 x100 padstone be sufficient.

Yes.

But is the wall actually 215 thick? That would be very unusual for an internal wall in a 1930s semi.

But no matter how thick the wall (ie half-brick or full-brick) the padstone only needs to be 215 long.

Sponsored Links
Update:

Finally got round to remove plaster from both sides of wall. The wall is half brick wide.

However phoned building control this time before putting an application and spoke to another officer. Explained to him and now I have been told that 7x4 not sufficient as roof struts are also supported on the wall on first floor. Been asked to get structural calculations.

Can someone shed light on this please. Why is 7x4 not sufficient for a 2 metre opening on a load bearing wall. Will 8x4 be enough.

Dont really want to fork out £200 for SE for something so basic when all i am doing is opening a wall, rather than taking out fullly.

This second officer you spoke with is also a nit.

Because of the 'arching' effect of brickwork, the load from the roof will have no effect at all on the beam. In fact, the beam will only be supporting a triangle of brickwork plus anything which crosses that triangle (eg the floor) - see sketch.

Most of the loads above the beam will be channelled down the brickwork each side.

A 7x4 on 215 conc pads will be more than OK.

Thanks a lot tony. Why is building control insisting on calculation,i do not know Could it be because i mentioned that,I intend to do loft conversion one day. This will be a room in loft with floors on steel rather than a dormer. :evil:

What do i do if they still insist on getting cals done. Can i get work done and them get approval later.

Sponsored Links
Apologies the pics are upside down.

Can the rsj be supported directly under the wood wall plate.

Why is the brick at the bottom black and crumbly. It had skirting and wal nailed into brick. Did the rust in the nail eat the brick.

Thanks for your input

Apologies the pics are upside down.

Can the rsj be supported directly under the wood wall plate.

Why is the brick at the bottom black and crumbly. It had skirting and wal nailed into brick. Did the rust in the nail eat the brick.

Thanks for your input

1. Yes

2. Sometimes they put the softer coke-breeze bricks at the bottom of the wall to make it easier to nail the skirting boards to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back