rsj / ub / lintle type info

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

i want replace a lintle thats not very well installed and after some information on types

the lintle is spanning a 3mtr gap in the onsuit, it is suporting the edge of the gable end (bungalow) so not much weight at all
house
the support will be surported on a single skin brick wall at one end (that doesent have a padstone at the moment, this wall does have a foundation under it as it is the old external wall of the bungalow

the other side will be supported on the main cavity wall of the bungalow,

1) it currently has a concrete lintle would a "I" beam be better?

2) won't a "I" beam across the cavity wall cause a thermal bridge?

3) about 300 of the "I" beam would be visable from the outside of the house can this be bricked up?

any additional info you can supply would be great cheers
jay

[/img]

Sponsored Links
I can't see how any of the proposed lintel/beam would be visible from the outside? Surely it would rest on the internal block work) ;) ;)

Edit,, What's above the existing lintel ?

I can't see how any of the proposed lintel/beam would be visible from the outside? Surely it would rest on the internal block work) Edit,, What's above the existing lintel ?

the edge of the gable end is above the exixting

heres a cut away drawing

as for the visable out side i would have thought the RSJ/lintle would have to extend onto the cavaty wall as there are no pillers

img1 how i thought it would be done

img2 is this what you mean by not being visable

The bottom image is the way to go; what's the problem?
For that span and loading you would need no more than 2 152 x 89 UBs.

Sponsored Links
There's no problem just thought the RSJs would need to be supported on more than a single skin wall on both sides
But if that's standard practice there's nothing to worry about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back