Rsj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a load bearing wall taken down. There are 2 steel beams running parallel, supporting a wall each. One thug that I have noticed are they are not bolted together and I cannot see any padstones that they are resting on. It's hard to see if they are sat on brick or cement though.

Should the builder have used proper padstones and drilled holes in the raj to fit bolts or is this unnecessary?

Sponsored Links
Are the Universal beams(UB) supporting the 2 leaves of a cavity wall, in which case separate UBs is OK?

Common practice, but not proper practice, is to set the beams on the brick with a mortar bed to level them. Proper practice is to use pad stones especially in older victorian buildings were the strength of the brick would be in question. If building control was involved, as they should be whenever any structural alterations are carried out, they would insist on pad stones.

As for the bolting in place this is seldom done in refurbishment or alterations, but should be done in new-build work.

I've just had a load bearing wall taken down. There are 2 steel beams running parallel, supporting a wall each. One thug that I have noticed are they are not bolted together and I cannot see any padstones that they are resting on. It's hard to see if they are sat on brick or cement though.

Should the builder have used proper padstones and drilled holes in the raj to fit bolts or is this unnecessary?
Need details to make any useful comment. The design of the bearing depends on loading and masonry support. The usefulness of bolting depends on loading, span, section and width.

To give a bit more background we opened up the kitchen into a small extension so I believe that 1 rsj is holding up the original kitchen end wall and the other is holding up the extension wall.

Sponsored Links
Got any photos, drawing to help with your description and aid more constructive answers?

The missus has on her phone but is out tonight. It has been plaster boarded now. I remember being able to see a gap between brickwork between the 2 rsj so the brickwork were not bonded together if that makes sense?

Unfortunately the pics don't show the bearing ends. All the show is 2 rsj running parallel. I believe the support is sufficient but because I didn't Seek a SE and BCO then my house is held up by the knowledge of an experienced builder. Always nice to have some sort of insurance to fall back on which is what I don't have.
I really don't want to rip the plaster off because one it would cost me money to sry and 2 my missus would think that I've lost the plot.

Unfortunately the pics don't show the bearing ends. All the show is 2 rsj running parallel. I believe the support is sufficient but because I didn't Seek a SE and BCO then my house is held up by the knowledge of an experienced builder. Always nice to have some sort of insurance to fall back on which is what I don't have.
I really don't want to rip the plaster off because one it would cost me money to sry and 2 my missus would think that I've lost the plot.
Building control approval is the responsibility of the homeowner.

However, the builder should have pointed this out to you. You will also need to engage an SE.

At least I Know there is some support there but really need to think about an SE. I would get one out tomorrow but the missus believes that there's enough support and trusts the builder.
The builder advised an SE would be necessary but would put a bigger RSJ In to over compensate. It was slightly thicker than the width of the Brick I remember but I should have just instructed an SE and now I don't like the idea of opening up when there 'could' be complications.

What you are doing is controlled work and falls under the remit of building regulations, I.e. It is illegal to ignore building control.

You have been very naive especially ignoring the advice of your builder.

Stop being a tightwad and get it sorted before it bites you in the bum later on.

Well there are plenty of these kinds of installs that go on without any BC or SE input, heck I sit and eat me brecky right underneath such a beam every morning and I'm still alive. But my beam above me head has been there a fair few years and hasn't moved but yours is new, there are some buyers who may be put off by the lack of regularisation when you come to sell. So its your call. Hindsight eh!

I must admit I do trust my builder and had a good look at the work after and all looked great. Then you start thinking things, don't remember it being on padstones, is the beam sufficient etc. think I just need to chill for now. Just don't want to open a can of worms.

Quite difficult now. I've decided to leave it. I had a decision to make and get an SE out and decided not to. First time buyer, you
Love and learn. If we come to sell and are asked for paperwork then we will consider getting an engineer. We will end up buying a house with no paperwork.
I spoke to BCO on Friday and they said that they would assess the beam but didn't really explain whether an SE would need to be involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back