Rsj

Just out of interest what would be the best way of getting the works signed off? Break plaster, take pics and send to SE, SE approves and then send to building control?

Sponsored Links
Anyone? Really stuck. If I get an engineer out to confirm all is okay. Do I still need to notify building control? Just more of an added expense but need peace of mind. Also can I delay a SE report until I have the money for a retro app from building control? Is there a time limit to get the calculations over to the council? :(

For a retrospective approval you will need to expose each end of the beam, give your SE some photos and the size of the beam and the bearings and what they are bearing on (eg padstone or the brick wall), if he is a sensible SE and you can give him all the info he will not need to do a site visit. Then get the SE to do some number crunching and if the beam is OK then you can get BC out to inspect each end and then you can give him the SE's calcs. Then once BC have checked your SE's calcs he will sign it off. But prolly best not to involve BC just yet as if the SE cannot prove the beam you may have to think again.

Thank you for the advice. How come you decided not to
Get an SE to carry out inspections on the beam in
Your home? Was it historically fitted? I'm more conscious about if something does go wrong, financially if be doomed as home insurance would not pay out.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I'm not sure as they have been covered up. They were a decent size, the same width as the brick if say and the span wall to
Wall is apart 2 metres. There were 2 running parallel. I don't know if 1 beam was supporting the extension and the other supporting the outside wall or both beams were supporting the outside wall. Hard to explain really.i don't remember padstones but a lot of cement around the end of beams.

Found an identical pic on google

//www.diynot.com/network/Callismichael/albums/

Pics of the opening when finished are of no use and we know what you mean by the two beams. Its all about the sizes and bearings etc.

Realistically if something was gonna go wrong it would have by now, if you have no cracking or anything else visible then its more than likely all fine, in practice at least. But if you are really worried and want that certificate then you'll have to have a dig and see what's what. No point patching up until its all been signed off.

And empty your bin, it must honk! :p

Does to me as well. He can't remember. It looks like the same size rsj as the one in the google pic I posted so going to put some money aside for an engineer to put my mind at rest as it's driving me round the bend.

I shouldn't worry about it. Though if it does go it will go quick and you won't know anything about it! :evil: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Well, maybe enough time to just look up at the cracking!

4G78uX.gif

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back