RUBBISH SERVICE - JEWSON!

Sponsored Links
Jewson building supplies (junction street Carlisle in this instance) supplied 400 bricks all with cracks and damaged faces, the manager of jewson INSISTS the bricks are supposed to be like that ROFLMAO

PLEASE SEE PHOTO AND BE WARNED OF JEWSON BUILDING SUPPLIES.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/jewson-prices.385483/#ixzz3gzvCB8Hc

Attachments

• jewson_junction_st_carlisle.JPG
    jewson_junction_st_carlisle.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 183
Never found them to be especially useless but their prices fluctuate so much it was hard for me to know if I was getting ripped off or not. In the past I've been in to buy materials (non-trade) and just been taken for an absolute mug compared to when I was buying for a building firm I used to work for.

I know they like to top up the registers from selling to joe public but it's the extent to which they do that which has ****ed me off in the past and allienated me.

I've gotten the impression they don't want the business, in which case advertise a trade only service and save wasting people's time

Sponsored Links
Jewson can't match B&Q incompetence. I watched a staff member book a delivery of sand. I waited in all day, no sand. I rang them up next day. No delivery had been booked. I went in, they couldn't figure out how to book a delivery. Use fecking less. Mind you, I re-ordered from Wickes. At the end of the day after waiting in I got a phone call from the driver, "We don't have enough sand at the depot". Grrrrr. I think most of the staff would be thrilled to be called halfwits, and consider it flattery.

I avoid Jewson (& TP) like the plague. Over priced and generally rude staff IMO. You can't see prices online unless you log into your account. WTF? Is it a builders merchant or some exclusive club?

Jewson is owned by Saint-Gobian which is the umbrella for some other's as well

http://www.jewson.co.uk/working-with-you/supply-chain-partnerships/jewson-and-saint-gobain/

Add Wolsely (PLumb Center) to this as well which was bought out by Saint-Gobian in 2011

Interestingly Wickes is owned by Travis perkins

AND

Kingfisher PLC owns B&Q, Superdrug (various French DIY outlets) and Screwfix

I avoid Jewson (& TP) like the plague. Over priced and generally rude staff IMO. You can't see prices online unless you log into your account. WTF? Is it a builders merchant or some exclusive club?

I've found this true of most large merchants, they generally see themselves above dealing with everyday public, they want mainly larger firms, large orders, as to them it's less hassle.

I use an independant timber merchant for materials and get a 10% discount despite most of it being for myself. The quality of timber is superior to B&Q, Wickes at a cheaper price and on par with the big merchants.

I'd say find an independant if you want to pay nearer trade price as an avid DIYer, get a mate with a building company and get yourself a trade card, they will welcome the business and appreciate it. Otherwise you're lumbered in with all the 'civvies' crowding the checkouts on a saturday/sunday with gaudy guff that the missus wants for the house.

Jewson is owned by Saint-Gobian which is the umbrella for some other's as well

http://www.jewson.co.uk/working-with-you/supply-chain-partnerships/jewson-and-saint-gobain/

Add Wolsely (PLumb Center) to this as well which was bought out by Saint-Gobian in 2011

Interestingly Wickes is owned by Travis perkins

AND

Kingfisher PLC owns B&Q, Superdrug (various French DIY outlets) and Screwfix

I've found this true of most large merchants, they generally see themselves above dealing with everyday public, they want mainly larger firms, large orders, as to them it's less hassle.

I use an independant timber merchant for materials and get a 10% discount despite most of it being for myself. The quality of timber is superior to B&Q, Wickes at a cheaper price and on par with the big merchants.

I'd say find an independant if you want to pay nearer trade price as an avid DIYer, get a mate with a building company and get yourself a trade card, they will welcome the business and appreciate it. Otherwise you're lumbered in with all the 'civvies' crowding the checkouts on a saturday/sunday with gaudy guff that the missus wants for the house.

The thing is, I am trade but tend to use whichever supplier is closest to where I am working or at least in the general direction. I would like to use these companies if they have what I need but the prices are extortionate. I don't wish to open an account with them but they don't seem to want to lower themselves to take my £50 - £100 cash.
Most of my materials and sundries come from Screwfix these days.

The first and last time I went to Jewson was to pick up a roll of builder's band (metal strapping) that I wanted to use that day. I saw it in the Screwfix catalogue (this was before a local store had opened) priced at just under a fiver so I trotted off to Jewson expecting to pay up to a tenner. When I got there, the staff member took ages trying to locate it but couldn't and he then had to go to answer the phone and started fussing around the front desk. Eventually, I found it on a high shelf hidden behind a load of other dust covered stuff so off I went to the till to get a price check where I almost had a heart attack - it rung up at a whopping £24.95. I was offered a 10% discount but, needless to say, I passed up this bargain opportunity and decided to order it from Screwfix to do the job the next day. On my way home I called into B&Q on the off chance that they would have something suitable (not expecting to find anything) and, lo and behold, there was the exact same brand stuff that Jewson and Screwfix were selling, priced at £6.99.

It seems any discount that bulk trade buyers get from them is at the expense of Joe Public!!

I can't remember now if it was Jewsons or T Perkins but they wanted £22 for a 3m length of 15mm copper pipe - currently £5.64 at Plumbfix.

Sponsored Links
Back