Rubble Blocked Chimney!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a disused chimney that has been shorted and capped with a slab by a previous owner and I think it’s causing a damp problem in the bedroom next to it. There are no air bricks in the chimney so it is completely sealed. I have lifted the slab off the top to take a look and to my amazement found that it is completely full of damp rubble!! I have managed to clear an arm’s length of the rubble from the top of the chimney via chimney pot and about 2 metres from the bottom access plate. However there is still a lot stuck in the middle, I have tried drain rods but cannot move any more of it any idea how I could do this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you'd have to take some bricks out of the breast in the bedroom carefully, remove the rubble, then finally rebuild it.

However you may also want to consider removing the whole thing...

Knocking through form the inside in not really an option, i think the inside wall in bedroom is single skin to chimney but double skin on outside see pic. Could I knock a hole half way up the outside to remove rubble?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back