Rule of Thumb for Combi ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

I have just moved into a 3-bed semi (2 adults and 2 children - 6 & 7 year olds) and the house needs a good overhaul. The Radiators were all replaced about 18months ago but the boiler is a floor standing Potterton thing which needs cranking in the morning to start!! Its a gravity fed system.

The Tanks in the loft are Galvanised steel and the storage tank is too small. They all need to be swapped out. The Boiler is about 16 years old.

Instead of ripping out all the old and putting in new, I am swayed towards a combi but reading through here and talking to friends, I am getting mixed feedback. I have main bathroom upstairs and a downstairs shower room.

Was looking at the Worcester Bosch 35CDi Combi or am I completely wrong and should I stay with the conventional system ? Is there a rule of thumb for Combis ..i.e 2 baths or more = NO Combi.

Sponsored Links
we love a combi- its marvelous, but then agin there are only us two, as you have a family of 4 dont have a combi. (If I upset mrs breezer , she will turn on a tap when i am having a shower

you need to make sure the incoming water supply is up to it pressure flowrate etc
if your running two taps at a time not really very good :cry:

Please, please, please have a combi, they're wonderful for keeping unemployment down, and keeping their owners off the street because they take so long to fill a bath. The occupants of the house are also so busy bickering at each other over who's turned what tap on that they can't cause trouble outside. So be responsible for keeping a service engineer in work and keeping all your arguments in the house and buy a combi. It's great when the boiler stops working, no heating AND no hot water, so this gives your own disaster in which you get the chance to become a hero and find the fan heater and boil a kettle. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
Please, please, please have a combi

hear, hear! combis are a plumbers pension! Either from repair callouts or in a few years time when they need replacing. I'd go for a combi anyday mate.

Dont listen to oilrag and ginseng, as long as you have decent mains coming in a 35Cdi is an excellent choice, do it now or you will have to have a crappy bag of sh*t condenser from next april, unless you live in a house with no walls and no roof.
Just make sure it's done by a propr guy.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Dont listen to oilrag and ginseng, as long as you have decent mains coming in a 35Cdi is an excellent choice, do it now or you will have to have a rubishy bag of sh*t condenser from next april, unless you live in a house with no walls and no roof.

Just make sure it's done by a propr guy.

.......a proper guy called PEDINTACVANDICKTIVMAN, after all he's going to need a pension soon too. (He tried retiring recently but has been forced back to work). :evil:

According to mr blurr I will be working another 20 years, be really interesting to see a 70 year old guy lift a boiler onto the wall and 6 rads upstairs go up a ladder and reline a chimney get a corner bath upstairs blair blair blair etc etc,
the guy is a total tw*t and lives in cloud cuckoo land.

You won't have any worries and no need to move boilers and radiators, you'll be too busy all week filling in forms for the installation.

Ahhhh I see, but what about the w*****s cramp which I will have, wont be able to use a pen or a keyboard.

Oil and gas too expensive in 20 years. Better start practicing fuel cell installation wiv yer teeth. It'll be made in China, so for manufacturer support, better get those Lingua-phone tapes now.

U've never ad it so good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back