Running a business.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, this post was mainly to you more 'experienced & wiser' business owners out there.

I run a small building firm, I take on small development projects and large extensions and refurbishments etc. I have a couple of perm staff and a couple of subbies I use a lot(75%) of the time and the obvious gaggle of subbies including spreads, chippys, sparkys etc.

At the moment I am expanding, organically, but certainly have aspirations to do more - mainly because I love the work, and because I like the idea of creating something.

However, my work life balance has completely disappeared, i'm still on the tools, so do a full 5 days plus some occasional weekend work, plus on evenings I seem to spend a lot of time pricing work, doing accounts chasing people etc.

Am I going wrong somewhere? Should I be allotting time during the week for this? Is this just a phase I am going through and as I naturally expand will my time on the tools inevitably diminish? Is there a better way of working? Or at least a smarter way?

Just hoping for some useful advice, or general pointers, I don't want to sound like i' m complaining, but i've got 3 kids under the age of 3 and would love to see a little bit more of them!

Thanks in advance.....

Sponsored Links
I am a self employed chippie and most of the time I only have to sort myself out but when job's get bigger it get's harder to get on the tools ,its easy to spend the whole day facilitating subbies forward planning ordering mat's dealing with clients and organising others, throw pricing and designing in the mix and that can easly be a full time job,so what I and saying is come off the tool's and all organising your doing at night do that in the day when your brain's working better.that's my 2 penorth, happy building.

At the moment I am expanding, organically, but certainly have aspirations to do more - mainly because I love the work, and because I like the idea of creating something.
It that is the way you want to go you'll have to rest your tools and starting working on your business, not in your business.

among your staff and/or subbies isn't there one who could take over from you on the tools - as a "general manager"?

Thanks for the replys chaps - working on business and not in sounds like some good advice.

At the moment there is no real GM character, each of them are just good trades people looking for a wage - no one with real aspiration!

I'm thinking I may just start doing a 4 day week on the tools and try and dedicate a Wednesday to the paperwork (can't see a monday or friday working for that!)

Sponsored Links
I've got a 2 year old and like you i'm 5 days a week out at ten to seven in the morning and back in at about eight on the evening, I do most Saturdays and every other Sunday.

Even if I managed to get home early, say 5pm during a weekday, my little girl would usually be a miserable and tired little thing from a long day at nursery so I usually carry on at work till late...

The thing is, without sounding like a willy waver I'm earning a hell of a lot of money at the moment and being in the construction industry you never know whats around the corner, so I'm grabbing everything by the balls and taking it.

Then again I don't want to miss my daughter growing up... It's funny how I've seen this thread and I was only talking to the wife last week. I've decided to have every other Wednesday off and no more Sundays so I can spend 2 full days a week with my wife and child. (Wife has Wednesdays off so no nursery for daughter). My mobile is allowed to be switched on during the Wednesday but it's banned completely on a Sunday :mrgreen:

You'll never take the time off in the week it never works out ,earn loads dosh in the week ,then at the weekend youv'e got load's of time to do something brilliant ,that'll make up for being thin on the ground in the week

I used to work 24/7 raking the dosh in, fab great this went on for years every 3rd year holiday even then wondering if ive missed out on a juicy earner. now no weekend work for me it took me a long time to get used to it but now less stress less money but if a 5 day wage doesnt fly 7 wont

Back