Running bathroom waste in a concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I'm installing a new bathroom into my bungalow, and am looking to run the bath, sink and shower waste out under floor level. I have a soil pipe extremely close by, and wondered if I would be able to connect straight into it? Failing that, given that the wastes will be below floor level, how would I get into the main drain?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John.

Sponsored Links
It would depend on vertical the distance between the waste connection and the base of the bend on the soil stack.

Last edited:
Sedgmoor, good evening, and a Welcome to the board, this being your first post.

Without any additional information, such as the make up of the floor [suspended timber?]

If you do not want to go under the floor, how about you consider placing the Shower and Bath on to a built up plinth?

You can install a raised floor in the Bathroom on to which you can place your Bath and depending on the layout the Shower tray??

The trick is that in the newly found floor gap, above the original floor you can run the Waste pipework?

The step, and plinth can be a "Feature" in the Bathroom, but it all depends on space and layout of your Property

Just a thought?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys (and the welcome note).

The floor is a concrete one. I've cut through the concrete, and dug a channel for each of the wastes. There is plenty of fall between the actual outlets (in the bathroom) and the soil pipe (outside the property); my question is how to tap into the soil pipe itself. Can I (satisfying building regs) go straight into it (underground, outside the property), or do I have to create a 'drain', then run from the drain into a man-hole / inspection pit? So, regardless of levels (which, incidentally, are 'good'), can I go directly into the soil?

I hope that clarifies what I need to do?!

Thanks again,

John.

OP,
Presumably you are still designing the lay out of the fixtures in the new bathroom?

Will there be a WC?
Is the shower over the tub or in a separate cubi
How high above ground level is the FFL?
From the last soil pipe connection to the slow bend invert (as mentioned above) the min is 450mm.
Is the soil pipe plastic?
How close is the nearest manhole?
Could you scan and post a rough sketch of your proposition - showing layout and soil pipe and manhole?

FWIW: are you aware of the other Regs for a bathroom?

If your wastes run above ground you can just connect into the existing stack using a boss and strap on collar.

Are the wastes below ground level where they exit the building? If they are, then connect directly into a 110mm pipe, as close as possible to where they exit the building. If above ground, then options are, connect to existing stack, (as its a bungalow I'll assume there are no discharges from upper floors, so 450mm rule doesn't apply), take into a gulley or connect to a stub stack. Both stub stack and gulley will need direct connection to the drain.

Hi All.

Hugh - that's exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks. Actually, two of the three outlets (sink and shower) are below ground level, the bath will be just above ground, as it's a free-standing bath, so will just come out on a shallow P-trap, straight through the wall. I'll be running a new section of 110mm round to the toilet, so I was thinking I would just extend it by a few feet, and pick up the sink outlet when it comes through the wall.

How does that sound??

Thanks again for all your time!

John.

Attachments

• 20161124_220723.jpg
    20161124_220723.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 354
If that trench is external, you'll need a manhole on the corner where the pipe turns 90°, if pipework isn't deep then a shallow access chamber will suffice.

Thanks Hugh, that's great. The pipework isn't deep at all, about 300mm to centre of pipework - so I'll fit a shallow access chamber as you suggest.

Thanks again, john.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back