Running Cables and letting sparky install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

New here so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Basically I'm purchasing a new build (by Taylor Wimpey) and want to add various electrics, such as fused spurs, 32amp outlet for hob, a few double sockets and a proper supply to the garage. TW can do most of this but want to charge the earth for the privilege and not to my exact requirements.

I also want to install CAT 6 cable which I can do (IT by trade), unfortunately TW won't let me do this during first fix so got to do it all after completion.

So my plan was after completion run my data cables and all the power cables and then get a sparky to come in and do the connecting up for the electrics and get them to do the certification etc. Am I likely to find a sparky that will do this? Would they be ok with me providing all the materials (I have trade accounts with various electrical factors)? anything I haven't thought of?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Your best bet is to get an electrician on board now, some will, some wont.
I would want to see all cable routes in there exposed state, so to confirm correct methods have been used.
RE: materials, providing you purchase quality, there should be no issues.

Since it's a new property, where new sockets are to be added, in some cases it would be wise to extend the ring rather than add spurs.

This will make any later alterations in the future so much easier.

Thanks for the replies, I'll contact a few local electricians and explain what I'm trying to achieve so I can rule out who might be prepared to help with this. House has only just had roof on so still a few months before completion.

I will make sure the electrician views the cable runs before the floor boards go back in :)

Sponsored Links
Bearing in mind the place hasn't even got the roof on, I can't help thinking you may as well get TW just to do the work.

It seems they don't want you in the place while it's being built.

Perhaps you can supply and insist on some conduit being fitted in certain places, so you can draw your own cat5e cables in - can't see why they can't run those in for you.

The cost of any disruption to the decor once the place is built surely can't be very much higher than TW doing the extras themselves.

What have they quoted?

Think hard about them fixing some empty conduits in place.

They're not prepared to do anything outside of the norm ie if it's not on the list it's not happening.

So won't run the cabling, won't put any conduit in, won't even leave draw wires in.

They were particular about the electrics too could only go in locations that are on the list, I want power to the under stairs cupboard which isn't on the list and a decent supply to the garage they could only provide supply that would be good enough for one light and a double socket. I thought it might have been the sales woman being a bit ott and wouldn't ask the questions so I spoke to the builder and he confirmed everything above :(

Useless company.

You said in your earlier post they could do most of the work though.

Can you go into more detail please?

They could run the 32amp supply to the kitchen and add 3 double sockets for a small sum of around £750

They could run the 32amp supply to the kitchen and add 3 double sockets for a small sum of around £750

They've got a nerve, bearing in mind the roof isn't even finished, so no plaster yet.

I can see your predicament.

It's a shame to pull up floors and make holes in walls immediately after completion.

It would be so easy to do it all now.

They really need to be a bit more helpful here. One has to wonder if threatening to pull out of the house buy (if not too late) would get some results.

I've read on here before that national house builders have labourers do the wiring of these new estates, all of which are identical. An actual qualified spark then does the testing and sign off. Since they are all the same they will happily sign off work done by semi-skilled labour.

However, 'specials' deviate from the norm and Henderson need to be done by actual electricians - hence they charge silly money (oh, and because they can).

I seem to remember it was somebody's son involved in the install side?

EDIT: The search function is good on here... //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/new-build-town-house-electrical-standards.427446/#3324036

I remember a colleague saying he was moving into a new house and him saying he had to pay a stupid amount for extra sockets where his missus wanted them. I suggested that he ought to keep an eye on the progress of his property and once first fix was complete, go in after dark and make some changes :LOL:

Back some 30 years ago my house was also the same £25 for each additional socket. And yes my son started wiring houses with no qualifications and as stated an electrician would just visit from time to time. He latter became that electrician visiting other peoples work.

Can become a problem where builder makes changes one estate they used beams with holes in at start then moved to standard wood beams as a result they needed holes drilling to 1/3 rule so much more cable was used which in turn resulted in the tests failing with B32 MCB's.

As to adding once one has moved in where the alteration needs registering to council then an electrician has to inspect and test but where the work does not require registering then what are you asking an electrician to do? You will fill in the design and installation bits the electrician will test and inspect and sign that bit but no one will likely want to see that bit of paper anyway.

So what are you asking the electrician to do. For example the garage if you replace the 1.5mm SWA with 6mm SWA to feed the garage then it is a replacement not a new circuit so LABC are not informed. Adding fused spurs again LABC are not informed. Yes you need to fill in Minor works or Installation certificates but one done they just gather dust.

To my mind a simple Martindale EZ150 will test to reasonable standard and if you really want all the paperwork get an EICR once you have done everything.

Would it be possibly to tell TW not to do any electrical work and you employ your own? Long shot but you never know.

What are the T&Cs of this purchase regarding alterations/amendments to the design?

I've purchased off TW before, it boils down to the site manager. I have to say reading this I kind of agree with their stance, if they had everyone on a new build estate wanting to do work themselves they wouldn't finish the site. Their general rule of thumb is to charge you DOUBLE whatever a contractor charges them. I think you have two 3 choices, (1) Pay their silly prices (2) Make a mess of a brand new build once you are in and pay to pt it right (3) Walk away from the deal if it's not too late.

I went with option 1 because I didn't want to wreck fresh plaster etc which would then end up costing me the same as their prices once fixed. I guess they won't install the data cabling because their contractors probably don't know how to and/or there is no plan for doing it. Frustrating but it's like buying a Kia vs a highly customable be-spoke sports car. Btw, the build quality and finish on my TW home was great but again it comes down to the site manager & whatever contractors they are using.

it boils down to the site manager.
My mother bought off plan in a small development of 8 houses by a small developer and, with a bit of negotiation, the site manager did allow for some minor changes / additions to be included for a reasonable price.

But if they cannot be negotiated for an at cost price then do bite the bullet and pay the extra labour charges. As has been said adding them after the place is finished will cost a lot in disruption and redecorating. And that DIY work may affect the warrantee when you get TW back to work on the snagging list.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back