Running cables under tongue and groove boards - advice pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I'm in the process of opening up the ring main to add in some additional sockets in the downstairs lounge and then the upstairs bedroom and would very much appreciate some advice on running the cables.

Both the upstairs and downstairs have tongue and groove floor boards and the only way to get access is by cutting off the tongue and then gently lifting the board. This is fine for access but my question is how do you then clip all of the cable to make sure it's supported? I was wondering how this is done in practice, do you lift every other board to clip the cable (which will damage the boards, which would be a shame) or are the cables left unsupported (which appears to be the case with the original cables as it's evidently had a rewire at some point.

Any advice much appreciated and please go easy as it's my first post :)

Sponsored Links
Fish the cables in, taping them to a length of plastic conduit is a good way of fishing and dragging them under.

Truth is, in the real world, you get the minimum amount of boards up and just leave the cables resting on the surface below. :cry:

This is because you don't want to get the floor up, because it's too much work and too likely to cause damage.

You should, however, avoid the cables touching any pipework. More often than not, the cables should below the pipework - but obviously it depends how the pipes have been installed.

You should also avoid 'platting' the cables together. Try to make sure they don't get trwisted together.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back