Rusting walls and black mold.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a corner of the kitchen that seems to always acquire black mold over winter. I am going to deal with it by putting a small dehumidifier there in future but my other problem is after painting the walls rust seems to come through after only a very short time. Is there anything I can do to stop this ? A kind of rust undercoat ? The light blue paint is a washable vinyl and the dark teal is matt. This alcove is a bricked up window to outside. Single cavity wall on terraced house.

proo//media.diynot.com/151000_150580_82441_50637426_thumb.jpgf

Sponsored Links
The rust is coming through from the metal angel corner strip under the plaster, use a good sealing paint (Zinseer) ( or oil based undercoat) prior to Emulsion painting,

Wash off walls with anti fungicidal solution and apply Anti condensation paint prior to Emulsion paintng. I suggest Diamond Soft Sheen, (hardwearing and wipeable)

Kitchens are prone to steam, do you have a fan

so, when you have a warm kitchen filled with damp air, it is going to condense on the nearest cold surface.

You need to get rid of the water vapour.

In a kitchen the best solution is usually an extracting hood over the cooker. If it has several speeds, you can leave it running most of the time on the quiet low speed, and turn it up when you start boiling water or frying onions.

If you drape wet washing around, you need a lot of extra ventilation.

If the bricked-up window is thin uninsulated brickwork, it will be cold and attract condensation unless you insulate it.

You have to treat the damp, not just the mould.

Sponsored Links
Well a dehumidifier should help remove that. The cooker does have an extractor hood but only for smells. There is no outlet to outside as it adjoins the neighbor's wall, not the outside one.

A recirculating hood can be an attractive kitchen ornament but serves no other useful purpose. If the hood is so far from any external wall that you can't run a duct, fit an extractor fan in the wall or window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back