Ryobi 100mm Belt Sander

R

RogueHanger

In case anyone is interested and visiting France, one of the major bricolage chains, Mr Bricolage, (Equivalent of B&Q) have the variable speed 1350w, 100mm (x 610mm) Ryobi Belt Sander Model Number EBS1310VFHG for 160 Euros. (Ponceuse a bande)
You can order it on-line and collect 2 days later from a branch of your choice.
http://www.mr-bricolage.fr/outillage/outillage-electroportatif/ponceuse/ponceuse-a-bande-100-mm.html
They will do a delivery (free) but I don't know if they will deliver to UK.

I was unable to find it stocked anywhere in UK now. (Well, not toolstation, MachineMart, Screwfix, and maybe others that I've forgotten)
It has had some decent reviews. (I would add my own)
The nearest equivalent that I could find is something like a Makita for about £250.
Obvioulsy it would have a French plug on it, but that's a minor detail.
It says it's priced at 199Euros but when I bought one it came out at 160Euros. (about £130)

You can check stock at the various branches if you want to walk in and buy one.

Sponsored Links
Does this one use standard belt sizes, Mr. R?
Good outlets, Bricolage.
John :)
Yes, 100mm X 610mm, easily available in 36, 40, 80, and 120 grit.
I guess anything finer and you'd use a different type of sander.

I wouldn't normally agree with you that the outlets are "customer friendly" and there was a tale behind buying this which did not reflect the price.

I first checked on the internet for availability in the local branch, and it was showing 1 in stock, but when I arrived they didn't have it in stock.
I asked them to check the next nearest branch, which they did, and said they don't have it there either.
I asked how long to get one and they said two weeks. So I bought a 75mm model.
When I returned chez-nous, I checked the internet again and found I could order one and it would be ready for collection in two days, which I did, but for collection at the next nearest branch (where I'd been told they didn't have one in stock, even though t'internet indicated that they did, but the so did it for the local branch)
So, next morning (I thought I'd try my luck) I went to the next nearest branch and they did have it in stock!
So, I asked if I could have that one instead of waiting the two days for delivery. Then there was more "complication". I would have to wait for the ordered one to be delivered because I'd paid for that by t'internet.

After some disgruntled faces, moans and groans etc, the manager eventually agreed to reimburse for the internet ordered one and I would pay again, in store, and walk away with the one in stock. Hooray!

Then I returned to the local branch to return the 75mm model which had not even been opened. They wanted to give me a credit note (Bon d'Avoir) for the amount. Fortunately the assistant that had served me, and told me that there was not one in stock at the other branch and I would have to wait two weeks, was close by. I asked him to call the manager and I was immediately rewarded with the reimbursement, in cash.

So the purchase was not all plain sailing. However, the price was as is on t'internet and in store, (where it was in stock).

The cashier at the next nearest branch agreed that the (management) left hand did not know what the right hand was doing.

Sponsored Links
i paid around £115 for mine [the old blue version ] with a free 1/3rd sheet sander about 5 years ago
this one
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ryobi-ebs-1310v-4-belt-sander-230v/63516[/QUOTE]
Isn't a 1/3rd sheet a 75mm sander?
The reason why I specifically went for the 100mm is because it's 25% bigger, therefore 25% faster.
Plus the max speed of this model is 400 M/minute which is faster than the average 75mm sander.
I assumed that all this results in faster material removal.
(I beginning to sound like an Ad man.)
For around the edges of the wooden floor it's ideal, plus the weight of it means that you just have to hang on to it.

Edit:
Sorry, I misread your post. I realise now that you had two for the price of one, not just a free sheet of sandpaper.

the other thing to note is a 4"sander is more than 2 times the weight compared to a 3" machine
this quite relivent as you let the machines weight do the work so over twice the material removal over a 3" one :D

oooo and get a router matt to stop your wood turning into misiles :LOL: :LOL:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow.../Non Slip Router Mat/d80/sd220/p85326[/QUOTE]
The weight issue was a plus for me on this occasion, as explained, I could just hang on to it and let the machine do the work.

Fortunately, the risk of the work flying off is as low as it can get. The work is nailed down, this time.
But it's something I'm aware of when sanding smaller pieces of work.

Actually, that reminds me, I nearly had to chase the machine across the floor today. As I was working away, I accidentally disconnected the plug from the extension lead. You know what it's like, you need more cable so you just pull on the lead, but the plug came out. (French plugs have the cable directly in line with the pins of the plug, so I suppose they come out easy.)
I'd been using the machine with the trigger locked on and I forgot to unlock the trigger before plugging it back in. It's a soft-start but it still started travelling across the floor as it re-started.
Fortunately I grabbed the power cord before it scuttled very far.
At 400 M/min it could have reached a decent speed (15 seconds for 100 metres) and me on my hands and knees.
Perhaps I should put that in the DIY mishaps forum.
Or maybe I should advise Ryobi on a design fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back