Ryobi / JCB Cordless Drills?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hear Ryobi are pretty good but is that true or not?

As for JCB, I know there wheeled wagons are excellent but cordless drills? thats a question I want answered?

Sponsored Links
i have the ryobi 18v 5 piece set [as my light weight set]+a18v drill from argos £80
http://www.itslondon.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdCode=RYOTAKE5&ModelNum=TAKE5

i would describe the drill as exelent for diy light trade it may be up to a medium rating but i have only had it for 3 months and for heavy jobs i use my 18v dewalt
the jigsaw i have sent back for repair cos it was cutting at a slight angle[crabbing]

I have 2 14.4V ryobi drill drivers.

1. Drill (no hammer) about 4 years old, as been used solely for drilling mild steel, upto 1/2 inch hole X 10mm thick is no problem. However I have noticed the motor is starting to smell a bit, but it as worked hard.

2. Hammer drill, mainly used for masonry about 2 years old and is fine.

I too have more powerful tools for heavier work so don't abuse them.

I don't think the newer one is as powerful and put this down to the batteries, which are now 1.7Ah, the older ones are 2.0Ah.

I cannot comment on JCB as I have never tried them, however I do not think they look as robust as the Ryobi.

The combi set mentioned by big All is good value. They have the same one, except in 14.4V in Costco at £199 +vat. (£234). Not as powerful as above but OK and good value for home use. B & Q warehouse are good for Ryobi too.

I have been impressed with some of the ryobi tools i have used, but i wouldnt use them for everday site work. there is a chap on ebay, who is very good who sells a lot of new and guarenteed ryobi gear. I can dig out his details if you want (no he is nothing to do with me, i was just impressed with the service and the price!)

I wouldnt touch JCB with a barge pole. They are cheap and nasty and dont last. not much more i can say or want to say about them!

Thermo

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back