Safe cable size for 3kw immersion heater.

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Andystu, 5 Nov 2008.

1. Andystu

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, all. A friend of mine has just had a new boiler and cntral heating system to replace his original one. For some reason, the old immersion heater was connected to 1.5mmT&E. The electrician that came to wire up the new system including the new immersion heater, said that the 1.5mm T&E cable was ok to leave in and wire up to.!. Is this the case or was he just being lazy not wanting to rewire with 2.5mm T&E. The cable is on its own circuit and the length is aprox 25metres. Also, I was wondering if the fuse fitted is ok at 16amps, i'm just a little concerned that the safety device i.e the circuit breaker can stand more than the cable?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Andy Stu

2. plugwash

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    how is the cable run? In particular does it run through any insulation?

3. Andystu

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I believe it runs from the consumer unit which is located in the single storey garage, up through the garage lof space which has a small amount of insulation, maybe 50mm then under the floor boards and into the airing cupboard. If the route is vital for the calculation then I can find out exactly in more detail.

Thanks,

Andy Stu

4. Softus

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The route isn't vital - 1.5mm² T&E can safely carry more than 13A even if insulated and in conduit.

A 16A breaker is also fine, but the outlet in the airing cupboard should be fused at 13A.