Safe removal of Gardtec 350

wf4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I moved into a house which has a Gardtec 350 installed. The batteries are dead so if our power cuts off, there is just a squeal from the bell box and the panel is dead.
Once the power is back online, there is no indication that the power had been cut and my codes don't actually work anymore so I think it has been reset to factory settings!

I would like to either replace the system by either keeping the wiring and installing a new panel/sensors - Is this a good idea or could the age of the wiring create false alarms on a new system?

or should I just rip it all out and get a wireless system?

Also, is there a battery in the bell box or is it powered from the panel?

Sponsored Links
You could do any of the things you suggest. However, if the alarm has been properly installed, is working and doesn't give false alarms, there's no harm in keeping it. The battery's are classed as consumables and should be replaced from time to time.

There will be a battery in the main panel, that maintains power in the event of a powercut, these do fail after a few years, but are cheap and easy to replace (push on spade connectors) If the alarm sounds as soon as mains power fails, your battery is not doing this and should be replaced.

There is also a smaller battery in the sounder that operates when power fails. (hence the noise you refer to when there's a power cut) It's there to sound the alarm if the wires to the sounder are cut and power from the panel is lost. This one seems to be working presently but they are also easy and cheap to replace if you're OK with going up a ladder.

Both batteries are kept charged by the panel when the mains supply is present.

I know of a couple of Gardtec panels that are 15 years old plus and still work perfectly. One is in my own home. They are however both on their third set of batteries.

All except that a wireless system could give you more trouble and you'll need to change lots of batteries every year or so...

Stick with the wired one! :D

Sponsored Links
Depends on the system, I know of many that have been installed professionally and cause no problems AND work well.

All except that a wireless system could give you more trouble and you'll need to change lots of batteries every year or so...

Stick with the wired one! :D
Agreed. The only exception might be if I was renting a property for a short time and wanted to take it with me when I left. In this case as the wiring is already in place, it's a no brainer.

It doesn't matter how 'professionally' a wireless alarm is installed, you can always get a dodgy battery, a prat next door with some illegal transmitter or a thunderstorm to throw a spanner in the works. After the recent thunderstorms (which were spectacular) we had a couple of customers with jamming and supervision faults. No problems with the wired systems - apart from those struck by lightning...! :eek:

Don't get me wrong, wireless has it's place (we install lots) but with wiring already in place, as stem says, it's a no brainer

It doesn't matter how 'professionally' a wireless alarm is installed, you can always get a dodgy battery, a prat next door with some illegal transmitter or a thunderstorm to throw a spanner in the works. After the recent thunderstorms (which were spectacular) we had a couple of customers with jamming and supervision faults. No problems with the wired systems - apart from those struck by lightning...! :eek:

Don't get me wrong, wireless has it's place (we install lots) but with wiring already in place, as stem says, it's a no brainer
If a pro. company installed a system, DiY stuff would not come into it, that's what I was getting at.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back