Safe to use temporary water shut-off with mixer-tap shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it safe to use one of these screw-in shut-off valves at the base of my shower unit, to save a bit of water/money? They leave a trickle of water, so the water isn't completely stopped from flowing.

View media item 98857
From reading the blurb, it would seem that practically every shower is incompatible and I wondered why?

https://www.savewatersavemoney.co.uk/products/view/38510/Flow-Saver.html

"FlowSaver is NOT suitable for Electric Showers, Digital Showers or those with multiple jets. FlowSaver is also NOT suitable for showers run by a mixer tap with a combined hot and cold water control."

This is my shower, which is fed by a combi boiler and mains water. Is this an example of a "mixer tap with a combined hot and cold water control"?

View media item 46935
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
By the description it would seem they are only suitable for single controlled outlets, so would it not be simple just to turn the water flow down on the tap, as required? Seems a pointless piece of kit!

The handle's a bit stiff for my elderly parents, so a quick off and on again could save a nice amount of water.

I'm not wedded to the idea, but I found a shower-head with the shut-off built-in, which I'd prefer to buy, but it's more expensive than this obviously, so I thought I should check-out the technology first.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back