SAFETY 1ST Kids’ Safet y Accessories

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will they never learn? Lidi offering "Socket Inserts, 6-pack" these are Fatally Flawed in British sockets. I accept the inferior German Schuko sockets don't have child resistance shutters built in, but the British sockets do. I bet the socket inserts are not marked BS 1363 so should not be used in British sockets so why sell them?

Sponsored Links
Lidl are not the only place selling these. Why pick on them? IKEA is another, also all the £ shops.

I have never rated Ikea electrical stuff as any good and one expects pound shops to sell tat but I had considered Lidi and Aldi as being reasonably good shops. Maybe that's why it grates more I had expected better from them.

Sponsored Links
I have never rated Ikea electrical stuff as any good and one expects pound shops to sell tat but I had considered Lidi and Aldi as being reasonably good shops. Maybe that's why it grates more I had expected better from them.

The situation is that if something is legal to sell and the public are gull-able enough to buy it it will be sold whether the shops are reputable of not. Perhaps the most damning example is tobacco.

What did Lidl say in reply to your letter of complaint?

... but I had considered Lidi and Aldi as being reasonably good shops. Maybe that's why it grates more I had expected better from them.
I very much doubt that either (or most of the other outlets that sell them) have any personnel competent to know/judge/ascertain whether products (of this sort) they sell are safe or not.

Such products have been sold 'openly' for many years by many retailers and I'm sure that Trading Standards etc. will have had their attention drawn to them by 'pressure groups', and probably also individuals. I therefore can but presume that, whatever we may feel, their sale has not been judged to be illegal.

Kind Regards, John

Wholesalers stock them so it's not really fair to pick on people who don't know any better!!

That is a very tame statement! "RoSPA does not consider it necessary to recommend the use of socket covers" does not even hint that they might be unsafe (or 'do more harm than good') - merely that they consider them "unnecessary". Certainly not a hint of a suggestion that their sale is, or may be, illegal.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back