safety check gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What does a safety check for a gas fire involve? And who can do one? If its as simple as lighting a smoke match in the grate, is it something I can do myself?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
LOL, think your missing the point of the 'Safety check'

Open flued appliance? pretty dangerous in the wrong hands! defo dont do yourself, only riskin ur OWN safety!

Quite a few checks.

A registered gas engineer.

No.

A gas fire is an open flued appliance and should only be checked for safety by a qualified gas engineer.

Andy. :D

LOL, think your missing the point of the 'Safety check'

Open flued appliance? pretty dangerous in the wrong hands! defo dont do yourself, only riskin ur OWN safety!
Hey, I have no idea what it involves. Maybe you could tell me, so I know, and know the point of getting it checked. Maybe you could be uber-helpful and tell me how often it should be done.

I know of the dangers involved with open-flued gas appliances. I would never have a flueless gas fire, what a ghastly idea.

Sponsored Links
a gas appliance should be serviced at least once a year, as for what is involved ; several checks of all that is involved concerning the safe operation of a gas apliance.

Is this some kind of secret cartel or what? Official secrets act? I am NOT going to be doing this myself. :rolleyes:

Problem is you might not but other people might, and not done right or dont see the faults , then your gas fire could kill you.

Is this some kind of secret cartel or what? Official secrets act? I am NOT going to be doing this myself. :rolleyes:

No secret cartel but its gas work and we dont give advice on gas work on this forum.

A proper service every 12months should be sufficient for a gas fire. Safety checks are a false economy unless its a tight landlord who wont pay anyway

Definately not a job for DIY. Minimum checks include operational and visual inspections of the flue, burner pressure/gas rate, ventilation, operation of safety devices, clearances from combustible materials, and then double checking the flue and ventilation! Fun and games at times.:cool:

That will teach ya to stray from the general forum steve, :LOL: :LOL:

You would be better asking
I am getting such and such a fire serviced what should i expect to be done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back