Safety re new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All, A new combi boiler has been installed on the ground floor. The vent is on a south wall at the side of the house well above head height. Trouble is that the prevailing wind is a south-westerly, the vent produces clouds of vapour and whenever I am at the side of the house I get a whiff of gas via the down-draught. Am I being slowly poisoned and has anyone got a solution, please? The previous boiler was on the first floor but no such probs. I understand the new boiler is a sealed system.

Also, a supplementary question. After the boiler was installed, it had to be turned off a couple of times in order to remove rads for painting and decorating. Two taps, one internal (new) and the garden tap, are now spluttering quite violently when first turned on like there is air in the system. The boiler installer says the taps are faulty but there was no trouble with the taps when the boiler first went in.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
A new combi boiler has been installed on the ground floor. The vent is on a south wall at the side of the house well above head height. Trouble is that the prevailing wind is a south-westerly, the vent produces clouds of vapour and whenever I am at the side of the house I get a whiff of gas via the down-draught. Am I being slowly poisoned and has anyone got a solution, please? The previous boiler was on the first floor but no such probs. I understand the new boiler is a sealed system.

No you are not being poisoned, the vapour that is coming from the flue is steam, however it is very slightly acidid. The terminal should not have been placed where it could cause a nuisence, but if it is above head height it has probably been installed with that in mind. If it really is causing a nuisence though, ask the RGI to come back and fit a plume management kit. in order to take the steam away, it is basically an elbow and extension pipes which could be raised to discharge the plume of steam at a higher level.

After the boiler was installed, it had to be turned off a couple of times in order to remove rads for painting and decorating. Two taps, one internal (new) and the garden tap, are now spluttering quite violently when first turned on like there is air in the system. The boiler installer says the taps are faulty but there was no trouble with the taps when the boiler first went in.

I tend to agree with the installer as there is not really anything that you could do to a combi to make the outside tap splutter, this will be off the cold main, not the combi. Has the stopcock been opened to a different pressure?

Thanks Mikey. Glad to know I don't need an oxygen mask and the solution is a simple one!
Re the splutering, I don't know the answer re pressure as I didn't turn the water off. However, I'll try turning the water off by the mains stopcock, make sure all the taps are drained and then turning on again.
Your reply is interesting because I had to top up the boiler 3 times over 5 months after the pressure gauge fell below 1 bar. That's usually the sign of a leak, but a check says no. So low pressure is probably the answer.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back