Sagging gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I adjust these hinges to stop the gate sagging?

Sponsored Links
Use the nuts on the bottom hinge.
Undo the nut on the gate side a few turns, then tighten up the nut on the post side moving the gate along the hinge thread, once it is correct re-tighten the nut on the gate side.

Squirt some oil into the hinges at the same time, I use clean engine oil myself as it is a bit thicker than 3 in 1, but that will do if it is all you have, it will just need doing more often. You don't want to buy a massive can of engine oil just for that job ;)

Your photo is in your album you open the photo copy the diy not BB code above it and paste into your post. ;)

Sponsored Links
Normally they don't adjust, although you might be able to tighten up the bolt on the outside of the post a bit.
I have never had a problem with a top hinge on that kind of gate myself.

Thank you footprints. Is it possible to replace the top hinge with another like the bottom hinge?

I theory I suppose but it will put all the strain on the end timber and no support for the top rail.

OK sorry if it's a silly question but why can't you get it adjusted with the lower one only?

Thank you. There are two gates, one large and one small. They jam together at the top making it difficult to open. There is a gap at the bottom. that's why I thought the gate was sagging. Adjusting the bottom hinge doesn't help.

My guess would be either the gates were too close to start with and have now swollen or the posts have moved.

Depends how old they are, they look quite new. I would say either call back the installer, or remove the top fixing from the post glue a piece of hardwood dowel in the hole and re-drill it a little further over.

Lets see if anyone else has a suggestion before you start altering it though.

If you cant adjust the bottom hinges enough (adjust out to stop them touching at the top), then you will have to put a strainer on the posts to pull them vertical again? Unless the top hinges are coming out of the timber with the weight of the gates, is the top nut (behind the post) loose, will it take a tightening with a spanner?

Thank you both for your help we'll get in touch with the installer tomorrow.

Thanks for the update, glad it's fixed OK.
Out of curiosity what did he do to the top hinges?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back