Salamander shower/house pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Salamander twin pump that pressurises the entire house every time a hot or cold tap is turned on. It even comes on when you flush the loo. It's so noisy we've had it switched off for a couple of months now. The water pressure with the pump switched off is fairly pathetic (all gravity fed from the loft) but I've started to wonder if the pump itself might cause a flow restriction. Might I benefit from completely removing the pump?

Sponsored Links
What pressure do all your taps etc require? If you need 1-3 bar, then you'll need a pump, unless your loft is 80ft high. There are better, quieter pumps on the market, though that is one of their better models. The problem you'll have is the plumbers will probably have put 15mm or 22mm at best pipe everywhere and some of your taps may even be 8 or 10mm.

You'd do better replacing the planks its sat on with a nice thick bit of dense memory foam. Really does help reduce the vibration noise.

Also plug it into a timer so that it is only working between 6.30 am to 10.30 pm. That way when you go to the toilet a 3am it won't wake the family.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I've no idea what pressure I require in terms of the pipework and tap specs. I think I'll need to spend more time on this looking into what I already have then.

Nice idea re: the timer switch - that could be a quick win in the short term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back