Samsung Smart TV, Problems, linking 2 laptop. Anyone got one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Samsung smart TV with the allshare, the laptop can see the TV, but no files will play, I get 'no supported'.
I have contacted Samsung, they have told be to do software updates & reinstall the allshare, still cant get it working. Just wondered if anyone else had one of these TV's.

Sponsored Links
The problem is there are so many file formats, and wrappers (e.g. .mkv is a wrapper that can contain many different file formats inside), and TVs aren't computers so they can't download and install new codecs, that you really need to get all your ducks in a row or else things just won't work.

Have a read of your TV instructions. Start with some basic file formats just to prove the link between laptop and TV works, then progress from there.

It wont even open .jpg, it has all the latest, just had another message from Samsung, they have told me to reinstall on TV & Laptop AGAIN.

Sponsored Links
Try AV Forums. See if anyone there has the same issues.

It looks like you're the pathfinder on this one then. I take it you have read through articles like this?

Just to clarify, are you trying to link the laptop directly to the TV or via a network?

What model number?

I have a samsung smart TV (UE37ES5500), and direct links with a laptop/PC don't work on it.

I stream files via a basic wired windows network connected to a router and then the TV sees any PC/Laptop that are turned on - although the TV sometimes doesn't see files that it can see on a usb stick. So try checking if the tv will play the files that way.

It might be worth trying to set up 'sharing' via windows media player instead.

The TV is UE46ES5500K.
I trying to do it wirelessly, the laptop, sees the TV on the network, but try & play a file, is a message on the TV 'file not supported', even for a JPEG.
The TV has the latest software, the laptop has the latest 'Allshare' installed.

It might be worth trying it connected via cable.

Cant see that working, its the file type it dosnt like & Samsung havnt suggested that, but thanks

Well it would eliminate the problem being with the wireless connection, so regardless of what samsung say (or haven't) it is worth a try!

As is using a usb stick with the files on to see if the tv recognises the file types that way.

^^^ This.

It's good trouble shooting procedure to eliminate possible causes. Also, what size is the JPEG file? Have you tried lower resolutions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back