Sash Window Box Frame (moved from GD)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,

Just a very quick question with regards securing the box frame of a sash window.

The house we just bought has sash windows throughout and some of these will need a complete refit. When looking at the design and how they are secured, it looks as if they fit flush to the brick wall. Due to the sides being hollow for the window weights, will the fixings for the box section be through the sill and the header?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Probably best getting this moved to the joinery/carpentry section for a reliable answer.

A lot of them don't have any fixings, they were just built in to the wall as they went. If you're outside opening is smaller than the inside one, then that's they've been done. if the inside and outside are the same size, then there'll be fixings somewhere. Are you going to repair them, or replace them with uPVC. E.xactly what's wrong with them

Afternoon,

Just a very quick question with regards securing the box frame of a sash window.

The house we just bought has sash windows throughout and some of these will need a complete refit. When looking at the design and how they are secured, it looks as if they fit flush to the brick wall. Due to the sides being hollow for the window weights, will the fixings for the box section be through the sill and the header?

Cheers
Usually just wedged in from the inside to the reveals and the plastered in situ. No other fixing is poss due to box framing.

Sponsored Links
When my mate made these windows he would always put a back on them and we would treat them with wood preservative to within an inch of their lives and then we would fit them in the opening and he would wedge (Hard wood wedges) them in and I would render them in and make sure that the "Muck" was all the way around and and made sure it went in the gaps the wedges had made all around, Sometimes we used to seat them on a dry mix (Floor mix) after fixing a couple of strips of s/s ex-metal on the bottom of the cill. Then I would scratch and render the head and revels all around and jobs a "Good un")....Have a look at page 60 of my "Media" pages and you will see all the windows he made and the way I rendered the building and brought the revels into the windows... He made most of the windows "Georgian sash" windows" and the rest he restored .

Last edited:
Sash windows were traditionally grooved across the bottom so they could sit on a cast iron or steel water bar let into the top of the stone or brick sill then strapped at the top onto the lintel or into the wall. They are then masticed on the outside and the reveals (timber framing or plaster) are done on the inside. No other fixings excuse we design, etc can distort the weights boxes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back