Sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Buying a house with gorgeous sash windows that we would rather not rip out (being big wood fans). However, we are conerned that the single glazing will be extremely cold in the winter so looking at getting secondary glazing.

Anyone done this? Does it help with condensation on the original single glazing and does it help with heat loss?

Forgot to ask. Are there any special types of single glazing on the market now that would help with heat loss compared with the original?

Sponsored Links
Secondary glazing will help with both the heat loss and the condensation.

However, draft excluder fitting into the beading and heavy curtains can also make a big difference.

Anyone used a compnay called Window Warehouse for sliding sash windows. They appear incredibly cheap. Is it too good to believe?

there is a company that manufacture double glazed units that will fit in most sash and casement windows - cant recall the name of the firm but google should find it.

I am sure they were based in or around Edinburgh but cover the UK (i think) as they appeared on a Grand Design down south!

Sponsored Links
Yes, just discovered them. Slimlite is who I think you mean. Unfortunately I understand they are about three times the price. I'll check with other local DG suppliers to see if they make them. Not giving up on the old wood yet!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back