Sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just moved in. In the from room we can't open the two 2 big sash windows. Could they be fixed shut in a way that we can't see? How can we unfix them? (it's not that they have been painted shut). We need to be able to air out now and again!

Sponsored Links
have you checked inside and outside
how do you know they arnt painted shut!!!!!!
the windows could be fully stripped on the bits you see but still painted shut on areas you cant see :) :)

the windows may also be swolen if wet and to tight to open!!!!

also are the sash cords tight

I agre it's probably stuck on the paint. If they are loose enough to slide you will be able to rattle each sash about if you grip it with your hand. If there is a locking screw it usually goes in the top rail of the inner sash and fastens to the lower rail of the outer (top) sash. If they are not screwed or stuck together you will be able to run a table knife blade freely in the gap between the two sashes.

They may well have been screwed shut as an anti-burglar ploy and the screw heads painted over. Sometimes a wooden block is screwed into the sliding channel to prevent the sashes sliding, but this is more usually placed to give a couple of inches of ventination so your burglar can poke a fishing rod in to get your keys.

Can you see the pulleys and cords, and do they look newish, unpainted and free-moving? If the windows have recently been in working order you will see rub marks on the paint at the sides.

Sponsored Links
well, I can rattle them back and forth at the top, and one even lifts in one corner, but is completely stuck in the other. The paint, however seems seperated (so as not stuck together). But if it IS paint, what should I do?

The latch is NOT on when I try to open it, and the little wooden stop is further up. Will check if it's screwed.

I have a suspiscion they must have been locked somehow. The guy who lived there before seemed to have taken several burglary precautions - bars in front of beroom window (also and old sash but that opens), and new windows with locks on the kitchen and bathroom windows.

if they are to slide, there should be a gap all round that you can slide your knife into. Keep sliding it until you find it won't go.

It is possible that the wood has swelled through damp and jammed itself in place.

You could try putting a thin broad object like a pair of bolsters under the sash where you can lift it and seeing if toy can lever up the middle. Beware, if stuck you will probably break something.

Maybe the weights aren't counterbalancing the other side eh with a broken cord.

How old is the house? What signs of rubbing ar there?

Thanks for your reply... I'll go back and have a closer look and probably come back with more questions on Monday :)

if you think they are free from any obstruction on the inside, then if you can get to the outside, try prising them up from there. If you do get them open rub the the sides of the sash box with a candle to help it run smoothly. (could also be one of the weights has gone and its hanging akwardly, pull the cords at the top of the window and see if they move. If one of thems jammed, then prise from the outside on that side, as they can sit at a bit of an angle and jam)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back