Saunier Duval Combi Boiler - What am I meant to do??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a property two weeks ago and have a Saunier Duval combi boiler. I can't see anywhere how to tell what model it is.

I don't know anything about these boilers, but was shown by the landlady how to regain pressure on this thing, as it kept falling (is that normal to begin with?). Anyway, then the pressure bar thing went up to 2.7 and was flashing F (don't know what that means either!!). I left it and it started leaking. Its now at 2.2 and its still leaking. Also it fires every 3-4 minutes when I put the heating on, then the pilot goes out, and then 3-4 mins later, it fires up again.I can't believe this is correct or normal. Is it???? I am nervous I am going to get a whacking bill due to the firing.

Can anyone tell me about the workings of this boiler and what is "normal" I have seen the Certificate saying its working properly, but realise this means nothing really!!

Please help - thanks!

Sponsored Links
no it's not working properly, should be a fairly straightforward repair if you can find someone willing to work on this make.

Sponsored Links
Afraid not, It's not one I'd work on through choice. It sounds like a simple sticking pump and probably now pressure relief valve but these things leak for fun.

Can anyone actually guestimate what the problem is? Or what is causing it to do these things as I know she is going to put up a fight!!!

the fact you've got a F display, means that you have a Glowworm variant SD boiler, in which case not so scary to work on. Sounds like you have more than one problem, probably due to lack of decent maintenance. The Gas Safety Cert is just that, it means its safe not that its working properly. Get on to the LL and get it fixed.

As for the problems

1) Pressure loss: water has to go somewhere? but where? a leak on the system or water to outside from the relief pipe.
2) short firing. could be many things, hard to say, we'd need more details on the fault, when it occurs, does hw work properly, does ch work ok ?

Tell the landlord to get british cash in, shouldn't be more than a grand and include a power-cleanse.

a GRAND!!!!! OMG, she is never going to pay that. Now I feel totally scared.

The hot water and c/h work fine - even with the short firing. I don't have any problems with the radiators or anything and the house is always nice and warm when I put the heating on. Its dripping from the pipe that comes out from under the middle of the boiler.

it sounds like the rpz valve is dripping. Can you confirm the boiler model? probably something like a themaclassic ?
Its a simple fix. not expensive. If its just coming on for a short time intermittently that could be the preheat, in which case its normal operation.
not sure what DIA is talking about tbh.

Constantly having to top the pressure up, is the quickest road to sludge and more expensive problems.

The boiler cutting in and out could be a sludge problem.

The PRV leaking outside, and the pressure rising is certainly expansion vessel related, and may also explain your leak.

Holty you are a God in my eyes for finding that for me!!!

Right next thing, tackle landlady to get it serviced.

Thank you SO much to everyone for helping me!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back