Scaffold Board Table & Bench set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice on a little project I am planning to do (Please). Firstly it's worth mentioning that I am a novice when it comes to Woodwork, but consider myself reasonably handy and am willing to give anything a go.

So, I have acquired 9 x 8' Scaff boards & 8 x 6' boards. These are the thicker style of board at ~63mm and are used. I would like to build a 6' Table with 2 x benches for a patio with a 'rustic' finish. My design seems simple in my head, but am not 100% sure how to make / secure certain joints.

Firstly I plan to Jet wash the boards, and sand them to remove any splinters etc. But at the same time want to keep that 'aged look'. I'm wondering whether to try bleaching the boards?? And am not sure what to seal the wood with as it will be kept outside.

My plan for the table design is a simple 4 x 6' boards laid side by side to create the top. To secure the boards together, I plan to add 2 x batons going accross the boards on the underside of the table. For the Legs, I was planning to make an 'X' from one of the 8' boards and intend to cut them such that they will slot into one another giving a flush finish (not sure what this is called). To brace the legs, I was planning to fit a 2 x 3" baton between the centres of each leg. I was thinking of making a hole in the centre of each X for the 2 x 3" to slot into and leaving enough length so that you see this protruding from the outer side of the table.

But if I do this, what is the best way to secure the 2 x 3" to the legs? should this be screwed in some how?

For the Benches, I plan the exact same design only this time using 2 boards for a top.

Please feel free to point out any flaws in my plan, and would be grateful of any advice on how to achieve what I'm after.

Many Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Boards can be what I call rough planed, one pass with power plane set at .5mm and this removes just enough to avoid large splinters etc but still leave the rustic feel, coat with tung oil, add a bit of wood dye if you what to colour them.Bolting together allows you to be able to tighten things up a the timber moves with use.
This is a door I just made, new scaffold planks finished with oil and
medium oak wood dye.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back