screed level and reusing it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my builder just laid approx 18 sq metres of screed on a new conservatory we are having built. he has actually made the floor level too high as it will be higher then the kitchen floor. also the screed has been left to the open air for the past two weeks and has been rained upon a lot so has not even had a chance to dry out

I have had words with the builder and he agrees the floor is too high and wants to strip it down around 25mm deep so the floor level will be ok
my question is

1 - can screed be left open without any cover for such a long time and getting wet like this?

2- can a little of the top of the surface of the screed be removed like 25mm as this is what the builder says and says it is ok to do?

the screed is around 100mm thick in total

thanks in advance

regards

Sponsored Links
The screed with be fine regards weather etc.

However removing 25mm of screed material AND having a decent finish remaining will not be possible.

Is the 25mm difference going to cause problems?

thanks for that its roughly 25mm that needs to come off as the tile is around 15mm and then the tile glue and so on

maybe when he takes of the screed he an then use concrete over the top or that flow top stuff?

still dont sound right to me though

Is this floor marrying into another floor, i.e. is there not a door threshold separating the higher floor from the lower floor?

Sponsored Links
Whilst your so-called 'builder' is a bell end for getting this wrong, can you not live with the increase in height?

not really the point is the floor level should be the same no questions
Roger.

I'm thinking that the screed needs to be removed and re-laid. I doubt that the existing screed will survive a 25mm shaving in any case.

It is surely going to be quicker for him to just break up the screed and relay it at 70mm.

As noseall said trying to remove 25mm from the screed may well crack it badly anyway.

Trying to cut and grind 25mm off will be hellish and a real mess.

After reviewing you condition its seems that removing 25 mm seems to be only better option for you. I suggest you to agree with your builder point of removing 25 mm of screed.

With the possibility of me sounding thick
Can someone please explain to me an efficient and practical method of removing 25mm off a screed that has been layed for 2 weeks
I'm my limited experience of screed after 3 days it's as hard as a monkey's head.

With the possibility of me sounding thick
Can someone please explain to me an efficient and practical method of removing 25mm off a screed that has been layed for 2 weeks
I'm my limited experience of screed after 3 days it's as hard as a monkey's head.

At the thickness is 100mm, it could be it's 100mm of concrete rather than a sand/cement screed, but I'm only guessing. There are methods of planing down concrete, but for this size area it's probably easier to rip it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back