Screed on concrete question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Just started renovating my new property and I have a couple of questions about the floor:

- as per the photo attached, it seems like it has a concrete base (it seems like concrete blocks or something, judging by the dividing line in the photo?) and then some sort of screed mix on top for 65mm which is easily removed even with my hands (so, dry screed?). Can someone enlighten me as to what exactly this arrangement is? What sort of insulation does this usually have and how can I confirm / find out? Can I get rid of the screed in order to install underfloor heating without losing ceiling height? Any idea of costs if I brought someone to remove the screed? It's a 70 square meter ground floor.

IMG_20160625_185858.jpg IMG_20160625_185913.jpg

- I had a homebuyers report done in the property which cost me 1k. The surveyor said the ground floor is of suspended timber construction. Clearly this is not the case so I am thinking of asking for a refund of the survey as my plans had to be altered significantly in relation to insulation and underfloor heating. And thoughts on this?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Possibly block and beam with screed covering.

Will be a hollow below the concrete so look for airbricks on your outside wall

What UFH you thinking of, the whole 70m2? Wet I'd assume if so, electric if just smaller rooms maybe.

You could insulate it pretty easily leaving the screed in situ.

10mm insulation board, UFH screed or levelling compound (if electric mat) then cover as per your liking but the UFH type may be determined by your finish, tiles, carpet, etc..

You 'shouldn't lose too much height, may have to trim your doors moving skirting or take up the screed and start afresh

r1flyguy thanks for the response.

There are no airbricks whatsoever.

I'm thinking of wet UFH yes. Are you suggesting to leave the screed in place? Is there any reason why I shouldn't remove it apart from cost?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Stavros,

I'm not an expert so can't advise you professionally, I'm just going on what I've learnt.
Wet UFH I believe has a greater finished depth than electric for sure so removing the screed maybe a far better option to save extra work and prevent your floor being excessively raised.

My house is built on block & beam and has air bricks, whilst building my extension I used an insulated solid slab but ran vents though the slab to keep the existing house air circulating.

Have a quick look at the videos on the 'underfloorheatingstore' website, they may better explain your needs.

Sorry I can't be any further help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back