Screed rails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am in the process of planning to lay block paving.
I have no screed rails so guess I'm off the the timber yard to buy wood to use but can anyone tell me what is the best size to get as I obviously need the wood to be straight but also I dont want to have the wood too large so it take ages to fill in the hole where the rails were in the sand bed.
If its any help the rails are going to be no longer than 3 metres.

Sponsored Links
Just a thought but may use 22mm copper pipe, could buy a few tubes and when finished take them back and say I didnt need them!!

We use flat bars, which are flexible, no need for any filling afterwards as they are thin gauge.
You should be able to scource some from the scrap yard.
Use a 6ft level, then lie the bars in, screed of and slide them along.

Sponsored Links
Out of interest, what are you laying the blocks on, if you're going to use sand then I would recommend dust.

We use floor screeding sand, well compacted prior to screeding of, lay blocks then spread kiln dry sand over, run whacker plate over, sweep of.

After laying and compacting half to dust, I use a couple of batons to achieve 25mm of dust, I did use sand then someone gave me the nod, it is just dust, no chippings, as you say whacker plate with a rubber mat, the dust has the same properties as half to dust, it sets like concrete, give it a try.

Oh I see. Import this stuff from America? What sort of stone dust, limestone, sandstone, granite? There will be a big difference between them

In the UK all the guides state screed sand for flexible block paving

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back