Screen Fault or Virus On Laptop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been given a friend's old laptop to fix. It's a Compaq Presario 900 running Windows XP. It was full of spyware and viruses. I have cleaned out everything I can find and installed proper antivirus and anti-spyware.
There is a fault remaining with the display, it has a vertical band from top to bottom about 1.5 inches wide just to the right of the centre, which flickers at a high rate. I thought this might be a result of a virus but it remains after I've cleaned up. Could anyone tell me what this might be, and is it a hardware failure which means that the screen will probably fail entirely before too long?

Sponsored Links
no idea, but what happens if you plug in an external monitor?

Hi Breezer, didn't realise you did computers as well as electrics?
Now why didn't I think of that? When connected to an external monitor the display is fine. So it has to be a hardware failure?

Sponsored Links
I have been given a friend's old laptop to fix. It's a Compaq Presario 900 running Windows XP. It was full of spyware and viruses. I have cleaned out everything I can find and installed proper antivirus and anti-spyware.
There is a fault remaining with the display, it has a vertical band from top to bottom about 1.5 inches wide just to the right of the centre, which flickers at a high rate. I thought this might be a result of a virus but it remains after I've cleaned up. Could anyone tell me what this might be, and is it a hardware failure which means that the screen will probably fail entirely before too long?

Sounds to me like your screen is trying to display a resolution it cannot handle. Check the screen size, refresh rate and also the driver for the screen. It's unusual to have this issue on a laptop screen but the symptoms point to that or a faulty TFT Invertor or Display which may not be worth changing if the laptop is too old.

Hope this advice helps.

Id be 95% sure that its what you think it is.....it NOT a virus. (if it is, its very unusual to cause a band down the screen)

It sounds like a fault with the TFT screen. This is quite a common occurrence, especially with older screens.

I have seen the problem many times, sometimes it can be intermittent, but in most cases the screen needs to be replaced.

sorry just noticed this thread is 5 months old. The laptops probably in he bin now.

Back