Screen not working on my Laptop, "black"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought id post this, My Compac screen gave up, everything else seemed to be OK just the screen went black , so I got a high powered torch, and shone it at the screen, low and behold you could just make out the icons, so the screen was working, but I could see anything, sounds wierd I know,
It came down to a thing called a inverter, I took the screen apart, real easy with a small screw driver, and brought a new inverter on ebay for 10 pounds, swapped them over. did the job.
And there are step by step photos out there on how to take your screen apart.
beats buying a new laptop, or getting ripped of at a repair shop.

Sponsored Links
There are two possibilities:
1. The inverter is gone
or
2. The tube light in the screen is broken.

For any of the above you will have this problem.

How do you identify which one is gone?

You will need another screen to test it. If you connect another good screen and you still have the same problem then the it is the inverter problem. An inverter normally costs £10 to £20 depending on the availability on ebay.

If the tube light is gone it is a difficult job. You can buy ccfl light for screen from ebay. But replacing it needs experience and skill. I myself struggles to do this job. I broke many tube lights and then failed as well. Not an easy job. It will be easier to get a get a screen from ebay. Will make life easier.

Sponsored Links
Back