Screw extractors

E

EddieM

Hi, this has probably been covered before, simply put, situation euro lock retaining screw well mashed, screw extractor will probably remedy, anyone recommend a brand? Also where to buy replacement retaining screws. TIA chaps & chapesses.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have used a number over the years.

Either I am a bit pants or none work as promised.

My preferred one are identical to these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3221...=9046082&device=c&campaignid=659272460&crdt=0

That said, the ones that I purchased look the same but cost a lot more. Me thinks i paid over the odds

I know they aren't great, but the bu88er has to come out. Fortunately it's a machine screw holding a euro lock in, so I am optomistic. Either that or drill the so and so out.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Seriously Eddie I don't think an extractor will work here.....its likely to expand the drilled hole and hold it even more.
I'd try to drill it out, using a small drill first and working up a 1/2 mm at a time until the screw is hardly there.
Good luck with it!
John :)

Can you still get left hand drills? Drill it out with the drill in reverse and it hopefully catches and brings the stub out

Can you still get left hand drills? Drill it out with the drill in reverse and it hopefully catches and brings the stub out
And that's what in essence they are drill in reverse thread will hopefully cut into the head and hey presto....... well that's the theory

Gan on Eddie, get stuck in.....
Even if you nack the cylinder, can't you just sort another?
John :)
Has to wait until the weekend. I work away from home. Put it this way what could possibly go wrong.

Yeah nacking the cylinder is no problem, it's coming out the easy way or the very destructive way, but whatever it *is* coming out !

keep in mind if its a ph or pz head sometimes a flat bit on the diagonal tapped in can grip enough to remove a screw

Ta dah, 40 seconds and out.... bent and corroded as it was. Chuffed!

Well there is a technique as it turns out and an obvious one really. Even though my screw head looked completely rounded out you still must prepare the screw head with the reaming side of the extractor bit. This is done by applying moderate pressure on the drill which must be in reverse. Once you have reamed out the head it is now prepared for the extractor side of the bit. Again with drill in reverse and on a slow speed apply light pressure and the bit bites and hey presto.. screw out.

Check what size the screw is then get a left handed drill the tapping size of the screw it will drill it out to the tapping size or undo the screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back