Screw head snapped in new door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
:oops: I was screwing my new door handle on to my lovely new oak door when the screw head sheered off and now I have the screw body set inthe door and cannot get a hold of it with pliers etc. Please help
Blondino

Sponsored Links
remove all the other screws in the handle and try and pull the handle over the broken screw

i assume it was a brass screw!!
soft screws should be piloted with a same size steel screw first

Pliers are unlikely to help, but if you have a pair of mole grips there's a chance you'll be able to get a solid grip on it to turn it - certainly worth a try. If not, as has been said you'll probably have to drill it out...

Sponsored Links
Hi
:oops: I was screwing my new door handle on to my lovely new oak door when the screw head sheered off and now I have the screw body set inthe door and cannot get a hold of it with pliers etc. Please help
Blondino

You could use an electric soldering iron, 30 watt would be fine, hold against the screw till heat is transfers, and chars the wood holding the screw.
I have sucessfully used this method

Wotan

Drill a pilot hole; then insert a steel screw with the same threadform as the brass screw; remove the steel screw then lubricate and screw in the brass screw.

The steel screw acts like a tap to cut a thread, of sorts, in the wood. It's worth keeping a selection of old-fashioned steel screws which match the size and shape of the brass screws you are using. Pozidrive screws with twin threads (for example) won't be quite the same.

Grips like these may help.

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item.php/sn/89126

If the screw hole is hidden by the handle you will have an opportunity to make a small cut with a small chisel to allow access to the top of the screw without it being visible when the handle is fitted.

Is it possible to move the handle slightly and just leave the broken screw in situ. Some handles particulary round ones you can do this with and even with the traditional rectangular type there is sometimes room to manouvere by a few mm.

Not used one of those JML tools, but it would look as though they only work on screws with heads. I have used these before to remove screws - you just have to drill a pilot hole into the remaining screw first.

Provided the area of charred surface can be covered by the plate heating the screw with a soldering iron will help to loosen it.

If you drill it out then drill the hole out to take a soft wood plug or small soft plastic insert and use it in the same way as a rawlplug in concrete.

On some old oak a rawlplug is the only way to get a screw into the wood without ending up with a damaged or sheered off head.

I agree ColJack,but wouldn't it be nice if they came back with the remedy? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back