Screw placement for recessed blinds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a new-build and got made-to-measure recess blinds. I need to screw the brackets on each side. Question is do I screw it to the top horizontal recess wall or the vertical recess wall? The vertical recess wall would probably just need plugs and screws but if screwing into the lintel how do I determine if the lintel is metal or concrete? If it's metal do I just drill a small hole with drill bit for metal and use self tapping screws? If its metal, how deep can the screw go before it hits whatever material is sitting on top?

Sponsored Links
I would go sideways if you can!!

Thanks, was thinking that would be the easiest option. The recesses are plasterboarded and when you tap on it sounds hollow. So I am assuming there is a gap between the plasterboard and the actual brickwork. Anyone know how much of a gap before the brick actually starts? Dont want to be putting plugs and screws just on the plasterboard.

I would go sideways if you can!!

Thanks, was thinking that would be the easiest option. The recesses are plasterboarded and when you tap on it sounds hollow. So I am assuming there is a gap between the plasterboard and the actual brickwork. Anyone know how much of a gap before the brick actually starts? Dont want to be putting plugs and screws just on the plasterboard.

Probably dot n dab round the windows. so maybe not more than a 1CM or so. You can used brown/redplugs or if it is deeper you could use plasterboard fixings. I assume these blinds aren't heavy?

Sponsored Links
Probably dot n dab round the windows. so maybe not more than a 1CM or so. You can used brown/redplugs or if it is deeper you could use plasterboard fixings. I assume these blinds aren't heavy?

Blinds aren't that heavy but not very light either. They are wooden with 50mm slats. so 40 to 50mm screws should be long enough to make it through the plasterboard, pass the dot and dab gap and into the main wall where plug sits?

Dont screw into the plasterboard only. The weight and movement from use will widen the hole and the fixing will work loose. Screw into the wall behind with a longer screw or combined screw/plug such as a fischer fixing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back