Screwing plywood to floorboards - screws not going flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this should hopefully be a straightforward query. I'm putting some 6mm plywood on top of floorboards prior to installing some vinyl. I'm using 3/4 inch screws and have drilled a series of pilot holes to help.

However, I'm really having difficulty making the screws sit flush to the ply. In fact most of them are sitting proud. I haven't got the most amazing drill in the world, but it's one that I thought could have coped with this relatively simple task. It's a 18v drill from Wickes.

Any thoughts on the best way to ensure the screws sit flush? Could it be as simple as getting a new drill? I'd rather avoid that obviously.

Or I was thinking I could switch to nails?

Appreciate any ideas, many thanks indeed.

Sponsored Links
VIT400595.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's a countersink.

But a decent 18v drill should fire those screws straight through the ply on speed 2, well mine does.

It's a countersink.

But a decent 18v drill should fire those screws straight through the ply on speed 2, well mine does.

plus one to this!
i am suspecting the batteries are on there way out so need the extra torque otherwise i would expect him to say they just spin and wont sink in any further

another thought

if it makes a ratcheting noise turn the ring towards the higher number or to the drill simbol

6mm plywood for flooring should be installed with ring shanked 22mm nails.

Switch to RING SHANKED nails.

What screws are you using. Not balck are they?

No, they're not. They're zinc-plated wood screws, plusdriv csk. 8 x 3/4. I'm still struggling. Just had another attempt with a fully-charged up drill, and tried a number of different speeds, but still no joy!

No, they're not. They're zinc-plated wood screws, plusdriv csk. 8 x 3/4. I'm still struggling. Just had another attempt with a fully-charged up drill, and tried a number of different speeds, but still no joy!
i was talking about mechanical gears has it hot a gear selector[usually on top]marked 1/2

does it run out off power or make a clicking noise ??

how old is the drill ??

i was talking about mechanical gears has it hot a gear selector[usually on top]marked 1/2

does it run out off power or make a clicking noise ??

how old is the drill ??

Yes, I've tried both gears. Sometimes the screws just turn round and round, other times they just won't budge any further, and sometimes the drill just slips off the screws. I've tried various combinations of speed and torque settings...

Sometimes I get the clicking noise but this disappears if I increase the torque. Then the screws end up going round and round!

The drill's only a couple of years old and I haven't used it much at all.

the screws i suggested above should sort the problem
once they strip the thread [go round and round]the screw will never countersink or do any good

the screws i suggested above should sort the problem
once they strip the thread [go round and round]the screw will never countersink or do any good

That makes sense, I'll pick some up asap and hopefully that will resolve the problem. Appreciate your help, many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back