SDS+ adapter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed a new drill, and I managed to find a good price on a Makita SDS+ hammer drill.

It is of course overkill for what I'm after, but for the type of drill it's fairly small, and I got a corded SDS drill for the price of a normal cordless drill. My walls are tough to drill into so it'll help there.

However it didn't come with an adapter so that I could use normal drill bits.

I understand (now) how the SDS+ system works, compared to normal drill bits, and I know I need an adapter.

However I don't know what adapter I need, if it needs to say SDS+ on it, or if any 13mm SDS adapter will do.

If I get one from eBay or the like it comes with a keyless chuck, and I won't be able to use the hammer function unless I use SDS+ drill bits.

Makita make one which doesn't come with a keyless chuck.
http://www.makitauk.com/accessories/front/?id=4086&model=D-14093
But I don't understand how that works, and if it will allow me to use the hammer function or not.

With the holiday weekend coming up I'd to do some DIY work, so I'd like to order something tonight that will come on Saturday, allowing me to get on with the jobs!

Any ideas on what I need?

Sponsored Links
Sadly with these chuck adaptors to adapt SDS+ drill to take normal drillbits, you should never use the adaptors with the hammer action on. If you need to drill something using the hammer action, then stick a dedicated SDS+ drill bit in the drill.

That's the two things I needed confirmed.

I need just any adapter (turns out I'm going to get the official Makita one anyway)
And I can't use the hammer function - I'm getting a set of SDS bits and chisels too, so when I do want to use it I'll simply use an SDS bit.

This forum has been incredibly helpful so far! :)

I sadly have lots more questions on other DIY jobs I need to get done, but I think that's me sorted here, so thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Just thought it would be worth mentioning that sds drill bits will drill many many more holes for you than the average 'normal masonary bits.
They cost more but you really do get a lot of use out of them. Buy one and try it. I'm sure you'll be impressed.

I've got a SDS drill bit set added to the other, along with the chuck. I'm ready to order except that I can't understand screw sizes!

I know I need size 6-8 screws for yellow wall plugs, and 8-10 size screws for red wall plugs, and I've been advised in another thread to use Fischer plugs and Spax screws... however the screws are sold in mm. I know the length of screws I require, but I don't know what the 8-10 or 6-8 screws are in mm.

My best guess is SPAX SCREWS 3.5 X 25MM POZI CSK BOX 200 for yellow wall plugs and SPAX SCREWS 4.5 X 35MM POZI CSK BOX 200 for red ones. But I'm guessing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back