Sealant which one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

A lady of my acquaintance has rcently bought a First floor flat in the Aberdeen area. Built circa 1985 When she bought the flat here was a slight trace of mould on the inside wall near one of the North facing windows which wiped off and hasn't re-appeared.

The construction is brick and the windows are timber frame. There is a gap approx 1/2" between the window frames and the brickwork which has been filled (probably from new) with a brown substance (mastic? hard on the surface but soft & gooey underneath).

I noticed that there's a gap 1/4" between the sealant and the brickwork which I think should be filled.

I was going to scrape out the existing sealant and refill the gap but I'm unsure as to what sealant to use .... Mastic or frame sealant or something else?

Can someone please advise what's best?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Polysulphide is the most likely (brown stuff) sealant described and it would most probably be the ideal replacement. It comes inn various colours and I would get one fairly close to the original to save any mismatch, just cut off the original flush with the frames (I find a decorators snap of tip knife ideal for this) to the cement band ingos pulling away the string like old stuff. Try for a good profile of the same width all round, when applying the new sealant (it can help if you cut the tip of the nozzle at a bit of an angle, that way you can turn the sealant gun/tube to achieve saame width line) this all comes with practice and you soon pick it up...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back