Sealed system - Losing pressure every day... condensate??

Sponsored Links
Yea, when I say drain off valve I mean just that, not your condensate or PRV. Have you had anyone qualified/trained have a look over the system yet?

To need topping up every day from zero is not a tiny occasional drip that will take a long time to notice.

Leak sealer wouldnt touch a leak that size and yes it can block up things if your unlucky.

Really, rather than wasting months trying to solve the issue. you need to check 100% of the pipe work. and if nothings found, get someone that knows the boiler to double check all of that too.

Drain off valve is fine and dry.

Had 2 different (recommended) qualified plumbers look, end up paying about £70-odd an hour to watch them sit there staring at it saying "well, you must have a leak".

I think I'll try isolating the hot water tank coil, then if that's no good it's old after shave (I think a Blue Stratos/Denim combo ought to do it).

Then I'll try again with another plumber I know - third time lucky I suppose.

Thanks again to all for suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Go for someone with a no fix no fee policy, i wouldn't dream of charging a customer if i couldn't solve the problem.

Possibly the coil in the cylinder as suggested, it would either back up cold feed to Header tank or mix in with hot side, so when you turn a hot tap on you could be emptying the heating side,,,,I think

Just thinking also, that coil could have been your problem before you had it pressurised and no one noticed it, you've now increased pressure and can now monitor the loss, where unforeseen before

I reckon you could be right Slapper - could very well date back to when we had the whole lot moved up into the loft, I suppose it could have taken a slight knock on the way up?

If it is the cylinder, is there anything I need to look out for when getting a new one ie any new ways of doing it or new designs??

I assume as well that the fittings/flanges would need replacing at the same time!?

I'll put in some isolators and cross my fingers it is that.

Cheers

Well I'm puzzled. If there was a leak in the cylinder coil, the pressurised water in the coil would leak out into the cylinder - but only until the pressures equalised (ie header tank pressure). So although it would lose pressure it shouldn't go down to zero. Or am I missing something?

And if it did drop to zero, presumably the leak would reverse, and the water in the cylinder would drain into the "sealed" system. So you could check that by tying up the ball float in the header tank and seeing if it loses water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back