sealing a bath waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
i have been on you tube trying to find out the best way to seal a bath waste,
should i use plumbers gold silicone on all the waste ,or should i use plumbers mate inside bath with silicone behind , information on you tube is confusing
can anyone with good experience give me advice

Sponsored Links
A good squidge of silicone between the rose and bath inside, and the rubber washer on the underside is my recipe......but I'd leave the job open for awhile just to check.
John :)

Same as above. Havn't had one leak so far. Remove any silicon from around the waste inside the bath before it sets, and discard any washers inside the bath.

thanks for both your replies, can you tell me is plumbers gold just another make of silicone or is it stronger

Sponsored Links
Never used Plumbers Gold but I'm sure it will be fine......so long as it smells of vinegar!
I've no time for the acrylic stuff, personally.
John :)

also have i got this right you are both saying the washer that comes with the waste that should go inside the bath i discard that & silicone inside ,
other side of the bath no silicone just the outside rubber , have i got this right
i don't have the bath yet so don't know what washers comes with the waste

also have i got this right you are both saying the washer that comes with the waste that should go inside the bath i discard that & silicone inside ,
other side of the bath no silicone just the outside rubber , have i got this right

Yep

cheers guys , bath gets delivered on tuesday , will take your advice
thanks again

I normally apply silicon between the underside of the bath and the thick ribbed washer but sort of in the gap around the around the waste.

I normally apply silicon between the underside of the bath and the thick ribbed washer but sort of in the gap around the around the waste.[/quote]

think i know what you mean , under the bath apply just enough silicone to fill gap around waste then washer

Problem with putting silicone on the underside washer is that it can either expand or slip sideways as you tighten things up and you end up with a serious leak. (Been there, done it :mad: )

Problem with putting silicone on the underside washer is that it can either expand or slip sideways as you tighten things up and you end up with a serious leak. (Been there, done it :mad: )

would you just use the washer then , or is there a way round it slipping

would it still slip although i'm just putting enough silicone to fill the gap around the waste

Have to say I've never had that happen. The silicon would be around the gap as opposed to the whole of the washer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back